Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quarter Note Triplets

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by cassanova, Oct 31, 2002.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Gard and I were talking and the topic of triplets came up. He mentioned 1/4 note ones. He told me to fit 6 notes into a 4/4 time signature more or less. (thats providing I understood him corectly)

Im not quite sure how you would count these out and play them, as it seems a bit wierd and almost impossible to fit 6 quarter notes into a 4 count bar.

Can someone please shed a little light on this subject for me as to how to play these so that I can shed them in my spare time.

Much Love

Mama Cass

2. Think 6/4 (compound-duple in quarter-notes, rather than the more common eighth-notes (6/8)). Or, if you're familiar with the standard "Besame Mucho", you will find that quarter-note triplets are used frequently in that song...

Hope this helps -

- Wil

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Split the bar into 2 x 2 beats. You just gotta play 3 notes over 2 beats, twice. Beat 2 of the bar should fall half way in between the 2nd and 3rd triplets. Likewise, beat 4 should fall half way in between the 5th and 6th triplets.

4. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I've been working on quarter note triplets for almost a month now. What finally started getting it through my head was tapping to a metronome, and moving from 1/8th note triplets to 1/4th triplets.

Let me try to explain:

I set my metronome to a not-too-fast setting like 60 to 70. Then with one hand, I started slapping out 8th note triplets on my leg. So now one hand is hitting 3 times for each click on the 'nome.

Now, as you're counting (1-tri-plet 2-trip-let or however) only slap your leg on every other count. You are now slapping out 1/4 note triplets.

Now, take your other hand and slap out the 1/4 notes. This hand will be in sync with the 'nome.

What should be happening now is that both hands hit on the '1' beat. The second 1/4 triplet gets slapped just before the '2' beat gets slapped, and the final triplet gets slapped shortly after.

It kinda looks like this: (pardon the TAB-like appearance :) )

| 1/4note -1--2--3--4--1--2--3--4--
    | 1/4trip -1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3-
    | 1/8trip -123223323423123223323423

Mathematically it's kinda hard to break down evenly but the 1/4 triplets are hitting on the 1, 1 & 2/3 and 2 & 1/3 beats. I count them as 1 (&) 2 (&) 3 (&), so I'm basically counting 1/8th note triplets but only playing every other one.

It feels like it's taking forever to get this, but for some reason slapping out both beats on my legs kinda drilled it into my head how I want to play against the 'nome.

Hopefully this helps. :)

Just keep at it.

5. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    IME the easiest way to "feel" this is to try playing it as a regular quarter-note triplet in half time.

6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    We are talking sextuplets, where the first, third and fifth notes are accented. A false sextuplet is a double triplet.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yo Mama-
    There's a section in Yes' "Roundabout" that you're already possibly familiar with(& probably already know how to play).
    It's the section where the bass & the guitar are playing a unison line together(opening notes= E-F#G-A followed by B-A-G-A followed by B-A-G-A-G-F#-G-F#-E). 1/4 note triplets galore.

Shedding 6 notes to 4:
    I still like the clap/tap method-

RH taps l1-2-3-4-5-6-l
    LH taps l1--&--4--&--l
    Together with ONE hand would = l1-2&3-4-5&6-l
    If you have a drum machine, program the RH with one type of drum sound(kick?) & the LH with a totally different drum sound(snare?).

8. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Dammit Cass,

Quit uninstalling Finale! Plug in the quarter note triplets into Finale and have fun!

Simple. See.

:D

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Thanks for all the explainations gang, its much appriciated. Im still a bit confused by it, but Im downloading some of the songs mentioned to get an aural example of what the hell ya'll are talkin about. This should bring me up to speed.

Dead Fucwad is "These Foolish Things" a song?

You're right Jazzbow, but I need to keep some free memory on this thing, and since I dont write much music I dont keep it installed.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    KungFuqua'd.

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    any particular version you're referin to? i did a search on win mx and it yielded many different artists under that title. Brian Ferry, Etta James, Benny Goodman, just to name a few.

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  13. or even Rod Stewart (actually I came across it quite by chance, and a damn fine job he makes of it too!!!)

- Wil

14. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I got the Etta James version and just downloaded Rod Stewarts copy of it. Very nicely done IMO.

15. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    The way that I learned was to count triplets as trip uh let

so instead of 1 2 3 4 <br><br>it is <br>
    trip uh let trip uh let

16. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    One approach I didn't see mentioned yet for 1/4 note triplets is to first think in 1/8 note triplets and then only pick (thump, bow, whatever) only every other one, i.e., the 1st, 3rd and 5th (which is the 2nd one of the second group of 1/8 note triiplets). Regardless of which method you xhoose, after a bit of practice it will hopefully come more naturally to you without having to really think about it.

17. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    alrighty, thanks for tid bit of info Ed, BTW, there was no need to bold the word standard, I know what a standard is. ;)

Gonna get the BIlly Holiday one as soon as I get back in from work today.

18. Interesting approach...

:)

...but isn't that a bit like the farmer tallying his cows by counting the number of legs and dividing by four?

;)

- Wil

19. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    1/4 note triplets - I'm a big fan of them.

While we're on the subject, I'd like to clarify a popular misconception that Reggae basslines are played 'behind the beat.'

Most people who make this generalization aren't familiar with or don't fully grasp the concept of the quarter note triplet.

A 1/4 triplet played in the context of 4/4 tune interspersed w straight 16ths and 8th notes gives the impression of playing 'behind or dragging the beat.'

It's an excellent device to use.

Reggae bass is just as on the beat (maybe even moreso - especially considering that it uses 1/16ths frequently) as any other music it's just that the beat get sliced up different ways.

20. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Can i get a witness?