1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quarter pound, ¿P or J?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Raka, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Raka

Raka

Aug 28, 2008
    Hi,

I'm looking for someone able to give an opinion about the differences between the Quarter pound pickup from Duncan for "P" and for "J".
    I have a squier jazz vintage, with "Duncan designed" and I think maybe the pickups are too vintage for me. I bought that bass because I like the feeling I had with it, more than a precision of similar price.
    I'm trying to replace the neck pickup, I have the tools and skills for the possible router work, and I wonder if the J quarter pound sounds "similiar" to the P quarter pound, to an extent.
    Sound I want to play with? Say Glover in one hand, Harris follows, also some classic 80 metal, and also some just standard rock. Finger playing, and when my right hand finger hits, some string-fret noise is produced (the current pickup is absolutely not forgiving in this aspect)

Thanks,

2. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    I only have experience with the P quarter pound and the bridge J quarter pound pickup (had a P bass special with these) so can only comment on this based on this experience but ime I preferred the P Quarter Pound pickup , it seemed to have a much fuller , grindier sound whereas the J pickup seemed to lack the mids that I would normally associate with a J bridge pickup but seemed to have a lot of highs. The Quarter pound P + J together worked perfectly but the J sounded a bit thin on its own , I think with two Quarterpound J pickups blended this would probably not be an issue.