1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quarter Pound Pbass pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Iron Priest, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Hi all

I just got a Quarter Pound pickup installed in my Pbass.
    But I was wondering something with it. The thing is that it doesn't sound very much different than the stock pickup. From what I've read it, I thought it was suppoed to sound more midrangy and more "agressive" than the stock one.
    Could it be the way the guy installed it ? He said he had to make a new circuit to it so that the S-1 switch on the bass could work.

Is it supposed to sound way different than the stock pickup ? Maybe I was expecting more. I also use flats on it(Fender 9050), maybe that's not helping.

Thx for the help.

2. musicmansf

musicmansf

Jul 23, 2007
    San Francisco
    The squier I put them on is has now about the same output boost as my active ray has...maybe its a saddle height/intonation problem?

3. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I would try roundwound strings and the pickup and saddle heights.

4. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I don't trust the S-1 part of this equation. I'm not sure exactly what that switch does, but it's probably the cuprit. Unless you find the S1 invaluable, I would off it in favor of a traditional 250k volume/tone setup.

5. datsgora

datsgora Guest

May 23, 2007
    N. Ca. Martinez
    The QP's are the least mid orientated pups out of the Hot and QP. The vintage pup has the same mid rating, but the QP has higher low and high tones that the other two. So, they are very low and high pups with not alot of mids. check it out. http://www.seymourduncan.com/compareTones/matrix.asp

peace, John

6. Did you get fries with your quarter pounder??? Could be the problem...

Sorry :(

Rusty

7. I acquired a second P-bass that come with Rotosound Rounds and a Quarter Pounder.

I recorded various samples, etc, and didn't really hear anything remarkably different in the high quality recordings.

For the record, I did not do a setup first. Pickup height is significant to tone. One should get over to the Mr. Gearhead (Fender) site, and grab their setup document. It is first rate, and will tutor you through a complete setup for your bass. Including pickup height.

Be sure to do setup with the strings of your choice, because they affect relief, action height, intonation, etc.

I removed the QP and replaced it with a Duncan Vintage P. This bass is scheduled for defretting, flats, and foam under the strings at the bridge. I'm trying to get it very close to an upright sound.