Quarter Pounder J Pups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dan1099, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    So it seems the consensus on the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder precision pickups is that they are pretty sweet. My question is, how many of you have tried the jazz QPs, and what are your impressions of them?
  2. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    had 'em, hated 'em, I even liked stock MIM pups better.

massive midrange scoop, higher output, but the tone just wasn't for me.

They'd work just fine for heavy stuff, metal, rock, hardcore punk.

SD hot stacks are nicer. Much better tone and punch.
  3. I have been very tempted to start a new thread like this one. I have searched the whole site over and have not found a definate consensus on how the QP's sound in a Jazz configuration. So, if anyone has these pups in their Jazz or has a buddy who does... please post what you think about them.

As proof that I have turned this site over for a decent answer, look at the date on this thread.
    Also, there was no review of these specific pups in either of the "shootouts" or "Basstaster"...
    I am being offered a set of these used for 20 bucks, I need to know if I should put them in my Jazz.
  4. bassplayin

Dec 5, 2005
    IMVHO, the only place a QP J pickup sounds good is in the bridge position. A QP in the bridge and any vintage output neck pickup sounds pretty wicked- but as a set, the QPs are just too murky for me.

For $20 though, that's a deal! Try 'em out- the same pickups in different basses will give different tones. It's a cheap experiment, and if you don't like the QPs I'm sure you can sell them on ebay and double your money.
  5. Thanks man, good info to know. I think I will try them both out to start with, I am just not very happy with my MIM stock pups... too cold and clammy. The QP's are kind of scratched up from being in a tool box for a year, but hey!

BTW, on the Seymour Duncan website, they are recomended to be used together. I am in a Classic70's/Hair80's/TVThemes cover band, and I have to dial in 20 different sounds a night from soft fingering (J.J. Cale) to chomping at the bit hard stuff (GnR/ Motorhead)... do you think these would work for that application?
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I replaced the stock pickups in a 1995 MIM Fender Jazz Bass with QPs. They sound good - very hot very modern. Not at all like a Fender Jazz Bass. The original Fender pickups were better for what I wanted. If you want the bass to sound like a Fender Jazz Bass, avoid these. If you want it to sound like a bright hi-fi in your face modern jazz-style these do that very well.
  7. Well, thank you for your opinions.... here is what I decided to do:
    I am going to use one of the QPs in the bridge position and I ordered a "Hot" for my neck position. I cooresponded with a couple of moderators at the SD forum and they recomended this setup. I am going to go for it becuase the QPs are cheap and I have a little room, cash wise, for experimentaion due my band doing so well lately. If they don't work out I can send the Hot back (within 20 days) and get a set of Vintage Jazz and keep the QP's for a project bass some day. I will probably start a thread and give a review and a sound sample of my experience with this mix. Thanks guys, I appreciate your opinions. Keep on Pluckin'.
  8. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Jazz QP's are stock in the new "Fender Jazz 24" bass I believe? It is one of Fender's new import basses. I looks a bit like a fender FMT, but it has 24 frets.

I liked the tone and output from this bass when I tried one in my local Guitar Center. Like PhilBiker said, they don't sound like a normal Fender tone. I agree they are much more modern sounding. I found them very punchy and hot.

See if you can find one of these basses local.

9. I saw on of those in the new Sweetwater catalog while sitting on the toilet the other day (fine reading material for that purpose BTW). Anyway, I did try to find one (Jazz 24) but no one around here had one of those in stock. We have only small guitar dealers here... which can be awesome sometimes and sucky at others. Like I said, I've got some room for error in this adventure... What I am really looking for is a cross-breed between modern and vintage... thus the "Hot" neck and "QP" bridge. Hots are supposed to be a vintage design that is just overwound which should give a little higher output than the QPs... in the neck position that should be good. In the tone charts the Hot has boosted mids and the Qp's have marginalized mids with boosted treble and bass. If all of my over-calculating and figuring is correct, this should balance and compliment nicely for what I want... I will see soon!
  10. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

WAH!?!? :eek:

they are $20 in the US? are other seymour duncans cheap aswell?

thats not fair......:crying:
  11. They are not $20 here.... cry not my foreign friend. These are used and cosmetically flawed... They run about 50 to 60 bucks brand spankin' new.
  12. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca

so...its been 6 months.

whats the verdict? (give us a review).
  13. I ended up passing on the QP's and getting some new SD "Hot" pups. They sound great compared to the stock MIM's. Sorry, so much for the big review... The guy (a friend) got offered more money for them and I said go for it, so I missed the boat on the QP's.
  14. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca

when you say they sound great compared to the mim pups, can you expand on that...ie., were you looking for a particular tone and now you got it? (and what would that tone be; modern, vintage, generally cleaner?)
  15. Alright, sorry to be vague.

First of all the total output of the "hot" pups are greater than the MIM stock (2002). I wanted a "bigger" overall tone (ie. more bottom) than what my bass originally had... these took care of that problem. To compund the "fatness" that I get with the "hot" pups I wired them series/parallel... to be honest it is not a very usable tone unless I am playing at lower volumes. At high volumes it is ridiculously undefined and overly bassy.

As far as your question about tone... I find that these pups are more defined in every way. I thought they might give me a more modern tone but really they sound more vintage with a higher output. I like the result eventhough it is not what I originally expected. I play classic rock with two guitarists and these pups cut through the mix better than the MIM's. Also, I found out that my tone knob and blend (using the two volumes) are more functional, whereas before, I had both volumes and tone cranked all the way up... all the time. Each individual pup stands well on its own, which is something the originals didn't do as well at moderate to low volumes. Overall, just a higher output with more clarity and expanded tonal options.

Did that help?
  16. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca

very much. thanks