1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quarter Pounder PJ vs ??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by project_c, Dec 27, 2017.

1. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    I'm putting together a PJ, and I'm trying to work out what pickups to go for. The bass (Fender P) will be routed for a J pickup. Right now it has a Fender CS60's pickup in there, so my choice is this:

1. Keep the CS60s pickup and get something to match that. (Suggestions please)
    2. Install a Quarter Pounder PJ set. I am a fan of QP's and have them in a couple of other basses but I've never tried the PJ set.

What would you do, and if you think the Fender P pickups are better, what J pickup would you match it with?

2. DD Gunz

DD Gunz

Jun 18, 2015
    California
    If you are going for all out aggressive attack, I would say the QP PJ set would be a good fit. It's like the P model but adds an angry option at the bridge resulting in a hot cutting tone.

If you want classic warmer tones with a less aggressive bite, the Fender 60s model is a good way to get there. I have not mixed pickups with one so I can't help you there.

I think the tone you are seeking will have much to do with the answers you receive.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    project_c likes this.
  3. DiMarzio DP127 & DP148:

upload_2017-12-27_9-34-59.

project_c likes this.
  4. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    That would certainly be the Tony Franklin thing to do. Which I like. My main bass is a Tony Franklin fretted, but i've put a set of Quarter Pounders in the P position and it's given me the tone I was after. I guess I could always just repeat the winning formula and get QP's in the front and a Dimarzio J in the back.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  5. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    My vote is to shove a SD ceramic MM in the bridge with a singlecoil lined up where the J would be.
    I'd do the south coil in the J position, and have series-parallel for the MM to boot.