1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quarter Pounders or Lindy Fralins? Or...?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Fingerpickingood, Feb 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Fingerpickingood

Fingerpickingood

Oct 30, 2014
    Texas
    Hello, all. I'm purchasing a bass which has a good alder body and a one piece maple neck. The only issue is that the stock pups are rather weak. It is a jazz bass, and it would be played in my grunge rock band, lightly overdriven, with a touch of chorus here and there. Our tuning is E standard, with the occasional drop D thrown in. I beseech the Dark Elder Gods of TB to impart their wisdom upon me!!!

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    what kind of jazz is it, with what kind of pickups? how is the setup, including pickup height adjustments?

for all we know it has fralins in it now.

3. Fingerpickingood

Fingerpickingood

Oct 30, 2014
    Texas
    It doesn't have Fralins, haha. It's a cheapo Squier Affinity jazz, and I'm only buying it because it's dirt cheap and in a finish I really like. I've perused numerous threads which indicate that the Affinity series basses make excellent project instruments for the beginning DIYer.

Attached Files:

4. Rneckties31

Rneckties31 Supporting Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Depends on the sound you want. These pickups are very different

Big lows, scooped mids and hot output(QP's)

Or a more back to the basics vintage smooth "real jazz bass" flatter sound. The fralins are probably one of the best sounding pickups I have heard. They are modeled after vintage pickups. You can also have them over or under wound if you are trying to achieve a specific tone goal.

All that said I have qp's in my jazz but it is definitely not a sound for everyone.

Fingerpickingood likes this.
  5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I dropped these in an Affinity and they were a major upgrade, tons of output and a decent tone. They're also an appropriate financial fit, Fralin's are worth more than the bass and I wouldn't consider them but I also keep re-sale in mind.

2 Pcs Electric 4 String Jazz Bass JB Sealed Style Pickup Black

Sorry, I do not have sound clips. I really should make some, I have recommended these a few times now.

Fingerpickingood likes this.