1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quarter Pounders vs NP4

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Sep 12, 2008.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I recently upgraded my bass. While I was working on it (several months) I used an old body and threw some Seymour Duncan 1/4 pounders in it. Now that I am finished with my main bass, I put my NP4s in it. Both bodies are squire P basses, BTW. Anyway, am I crazy to think the 1/4 pounders sound better than the Np4s? I am noticing alot more output and lowend. Maybe its just because I'm more used to the quarter pounders these days?

2. I put a NP4 in my friends bass and it doesn't have a lot of deep deep lows, and has a hollow kind of sound. I haven't payed anything with a 1/4" pounder but thats what the NP4 sounds like to me

3. I was very suprised at the output and lowend of the QP p's and J's I have owned. I have no experience with the NP4's, but I'm not suprised.

4. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    The Qtr pounders are much hotter the NP-4 is made to sound like the 60's mid grindy p-basses they have decent bottom but if you compare them to qtr pounders at the same pot position or even the same pre gain it will sound like the qtr pounder has more everything because of how much more signal it makes. The NP-4 is a very good pickup but you need more pre gain to make it sound it's best.

5. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yeah, its sort of surprising that I like the tone of the quarter pounder moreso even though the NP4 is double the price.

6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I like the QP a lot.

7. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    I love my NP4, though I've never directly compared it to a QP. My impression of the qp the few times I've played it is that it's a really hot pickup, great for rock, but not necessarily the exact same tone as a traditional split-coil p bass pickup... like Nighttrain mentioned, it seems to have more of everything. The NP4 does have a hollow sound to it; to me it feels more substantial than a traditional Fender pup (meaning, a little bit hotter, and a little fuller) but it seems to maintain the traditional kind of sound more than the QP, though like I said, i've never done any direct comparison. It's nice when you realize you like a mid-priced version of something more than the most expensive version though, so if you fall in love with the QP... run with it and save yourself some cash!

8. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    You hit the nail right on the head.

9. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I had the quarterpounder and hated it. I love the vintage tone of the nordy np4. I think the quarterpounder sounds way better in alder bodys. It didnt sound as good in my vm p bass.