Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

quartersawn?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bas_anton, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Can someone explain these words?
    Quartersawn and flatsawn necks.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Nobody has responded yet so I will throw in what I know. They are particular ways of cutting wood, I believe this kind of cutting is mainly for necks. Both result in a different grain pattern.

That's all I know, maybe you could search over in the luthiery forum, as it has probably been covered before in better detail.

Hope that helps

3. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Yes, it is.

One is a cut parallel to the radius of a circle. The other is a cut across the tangent, i.e., at a right angle to the radius.

Quartersawing is like cutting the log into pie shaped quarters and either cutting smaller wedges or rotating to cut parallel to the prior cut, to get one board.

The other method, which only yields a partial radial cut, is to cut the pie shaped quarter up parallel to the radius.

4. Rusty's explanation is correct. You get less lumber out of a log if it is quartersawn rather than flatsawn, that is why you see more flatsawn necks. Quartersawn necks are a little more stable than flatsawn necks but they are more expensive to produce since you get fewer pieces out of a log.

5. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    [​IMG]

6. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    The picture speaks a thousand words!! :D
    It's really visible in the picture the results of the 2 methods of cutting.
    Flatsawn wood will tend to warp over time - esp if not cured/treated properly, the wood will warp according to its grain (this also explains why sometimes old wooden doors are hard to open - because they've warped with time.
    But you get more outa the log by cutting the log that way, so it's cheaper.
    Quartersawn wood on the other hand does not warp in shape because the grain is such that it keeps its shape, even with expansion/shrinking.
    But, you get less outa the log by cutting it that way, thus it's more expensive.