1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

quartertone guitars, where can i get one.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DigableGrooves, Nov 5, 2006.

1. any clues as to where i could find a quarter-tone guitar?

2. BassChuck

BassChuck Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    http://www.unfretted.com/loader.php?LINK=quarter/erik_quartertone

Check above... I did a 'google' but didn't read the whole thing, he may be of some help.

If you are doing this for melodies and not for chords, you might try just removing the frets from a regular guitar and seeing what that does for you. (this would open up the world of alternate tunings and scales for you, assuming you are into that kind of thing)

If you are really into it, you might try re-fretting a guitar for quarter tones.... just put in an addtional fret between the ones that are already there. Actually a luthier could do that for you... it really isn't all that hard, you just have to have to tools to cut the fingerboard and install the frets.

One last idea. Re-string a regular guitar with the 'low' 3 strings a quarter tone below the 'high' strings. In other words, the top 3 strings would remain the same as always, but the low strings would be the same gauge, and tuned the same as the high 3, but a quarter tone off (sharp or flat, depending on your needs).

3. I think that's a custom order sort of thing. Or at least a custom refretting.

Why quarter tones anyway? That seems like a funny sort of system.

4. cause I'm cool like that.

5. I'm in correspondance with krappy guitars regarding making a 2 string quartertone guitar with bass scale length, its wild. (and cheap)

6. Cool, man. Post clips if/when you get it made. :bassist: