1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Quartet - bass, drums, guitar, sax.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Imthegroove, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Imthegroove

Imthegroove

Aug 12, 2012
    Hello everyone.
    Me and my friends are making jazz quartet with bass, drums, guitar, sax. Later on we are gonna play our own compositions, but for first pieces, we want to make some good cover. Any suggestions?
    Style would be modern jazz.
    Something like this:

Or something like Aron Parks (just without the piano) :D.

2. Harry connick, I don't really know what you mean by 'modern jazz' but he's pretty cool and you could write some sax to go with it to practice for your own material. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
    Also, have a look at Gary Willis' stuff, the bass plays quite a lead role and he often uses sax and guitar. Don't know how 'modern jazz' he is though :S

3. Imthegroove

Imthegroove

Aug 12, 2012
    Modern jazz? I showed few examples. It's jazz, that's moving on. I guess jazz from 2000 to our day's.

4. I'll look at your examples, anyone else?
    Btw, what did you think of my suggestions? They're both 2000 to today :)

5. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    He probably means contemporary vice modern. They don't teach anything at school anymore...

6. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Jazz that's moving on? Moving on from what to what?

Your descriptions of what you're looking for are ambiguous at best.

7. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA

8. Imthegroove

Imthegroove

Aug 12, 2012
    Guys, guys. I knew this is gonna happen. I know you all are really cleaver, but don't **** around this thing ''modern jazz'', what I meant - these days jazz music for this kind of band structure.

9. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    First off you should apologize to Josiah goldfish for snapping at him...especially since he gave you two valid suggestions based on YOUR description.

Second of all your examples are not so much jazz as they are indie/emo with some jazz influence. Consider listening to Godspeed! You Black Emperor, Mogwai, or Explosions in the Sky. They are much more similar to your second example. You can also check out Ceberus Shoal. Depending what album it can get crazy. I call this style of music cinematic. But I'm probably wrong.

Thirdly you will get better results on TB by not demanding anything. This is a very civilized yet highly technical forum filled with very intelligent people. Don't bring bad habits from other forums here.

10. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed

Jun 5, 2006
    if i was you, i'd look on you tube and/or set up pandora to play stuff that you already know and want to play. i've got pandora on "brand x radio" cause i love that kind of stuff. start from there and they will add tunes. you decide if you want to hear more of a group or if its thumbs down they won't play it again. modify your pandora station as you see fit. maybe get your band mates to do the same. in about 2 weeks you'll have heard all kinds of good stuff.
    http://www.pandora.com/#/station/play/717281121185298515

11. ACalbass

ACalbass

Dec 16, 2011
    Humm,modern jazz as in those videos,I have heard John Scoffield done it in the 70's/80's,also Pat Metheny,and many other guitarrists/pianists/bassists.
    I would suggest to look that far back ,simply because there is no significant breakthroughs since 2000,more like a recycling of older stuff.

12. Imthegroove

Imthegroove

Aug 12, 2012
    Ya, sorry guy's if I offended somebody, it wasn't my goal, my goal was - stick with the main question and at least, in this topic, don't argue about what is modern jazz and that I am totally wrong with my idea etc.
    I'm new in here, so I have to get accustomed with unwritten rules in here. :)
    Thank you for your examples, I will check them out.
    Don't know, for me there guy's (in example) are really jazz, but with some other influences.

13. Imthegroove

Imthegroove

Aug 12, 2012
    Damn, Pandora is like ''illegal'' in my country.

14. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    That's too bad... I was just thinking, "Where has this been all my life!" YouTube's 'suggestions' are usually lacking.

Thanx for the Pandora link!

15. Typing this in as an old stager, I think that it would be best to check out Jazz tracks from each decade as far back as you like. The Internet can work wonders for the younger generations than we could ever have considered imaginable!!! If something appeals to you then note down the artist and title to refer to later. Make a short list of those tracks and follow them up. If you all like the material go ahead and put it together. Jazz has a large proportion of improvisation involved. This could mean a basic rigid structure of arranged material with a Sax solo in the middle and returning to the original theme to free-form avant garde. Sometimes a piece of music in another context could appeal to you - it may be classical - as per Jaques Loussier. It could be a trad folk tune. Just arrange it for your instruments. Eventually, you can build up a portfolio of stuff. Good luck.

16. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.

17. Imthegroove

Imthegroove

Aug 12, 2012
    Thank you really much man!
    I know, that we could play anything, with our own approach, but the guitar player complained that he has to play piano part all the time and that's pretty difficult, to put it on the guitar. But I guess he can't escape that :D
    Thank you for these examples.

18. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    youtube is your friend.