Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quasi Amp/Cab revelation....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MascisMan, Apr 29, 2005.

1. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Hey guys, I want you to correct me if I am way off base on a personal revelation I recently have had...

Im in a Southern Folk/Rock band that plays generally around Dallas/Ft. Worth/Denton and other North Texas areas. Our band usually plays in decently large venues with good/great PA sound support. I am almost always ran direct to the board and very rarely mic'd and ran direct together.

Because of this, our guitar player and myself have a stage strategy that we use (which isnt really groundbreaking or unique). We face our cabs inboard (to the center of the stage) to better hear ourselves. Lots of bands do this. Anyway, so my question is this. If I am aiming my cab in board so I can use it as a quasi-monitor and the sound coming through the mains is coming from my XLR out on my amp then why does the tone of the cab even matter in my situation?

The crowd cant hear it, only me. The crowd gets either the pre or post of the EQ section of the amp before it even hits the cab.

Therefore shouldnt I just pick a cab that cuts the mix rather than one that is very 'musical' or 'pretty sounding'?

Granted I understand that if I am playing a gig where the cab will be mic'd or a show where there is little/no sound support then there could be good reasoning to having a musical cab.

But if those shows are 1 out of 20 for me then shouldnt I really just be focusing on a cab that cuts through the mix so I can monitor my self??

This may be obvious to others but just hit me like a ton of bricks last night when thinking about it. Wow, my cab doesnt have to sound good, it just has to cut.

2. I personally like a hi-fi stage monitor so I can hear exactly what I'm sending to the console. Of course the sound man generally kills my tone; but the one good engineer in town loves what I gime him.

3. This is the reason I have a nice cabinet. Personally, I don't really like the sound of my bass coming through the monitors, as the sound guy has no clue how to dial in punch and depth for my tastes. I take comfort in the reassuring feeling of standing a few feet from my cab and feeling the kick in the chest I can get. Do I NEED that? No...I could get by with running a BDDI into a headphone amp if I wanted to, but I don't want to.

I like 'da thump.

4. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Right thats kind of what I am saying. The cab, in my situation, is just acting as an additional monitor.

So the main function of the cab would be to hear what Im doing because I know it is going to sound different anyway out in the audience from the mains.

Basically what Im saying is that in my situation I dont need a cab that has "nice blooming lows" or "smooth mids" or "great hi-fi sound" or "awesome vintage vibe" unless I am looking to just play in my bedroom, play with the cab mic'd or record? The main thing is that I have a cab that projects the correct frequencies to make my bass as audible to myself as possible while on stage.

Isnt this the basic truth?

5. I think its a great idea, you want to be able to hear each other. As far as your cab's tone not mattering, you dial in your bass tone, and adjust it based on how it sounds to you.

So if you make any adjustments on stage, I think you need a good sounding cab to do that. If you don't fiddle at all, (like if you play all pick, all fingers, or all slap) all night, you don't have to adjust anything much, your cab doesn't matter as long as it projects good enough for both of you to hear.

Personally, I like to hear a nice tone on stage, so I can relax and groove and not worry about what's wrong with my sound. Then I can pretend the soundman knows what he's doing and relax. Just make sure I don't get in front of the mains to see how munged up the bass tone is.

Randy

6. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I hear you steve, valid point

7. If, for your situation, you only need to hear yourself and not 'feel' yourself in order to get into what you're doing, then no, you don't need a "hi-fi cab with solid lows and a punchy mid". In that case, you could just as easily do what I suggested and get a BDDI or something, run a line to the house, and a line to some in-ear monitor system for yourself. Your rig could fit in a small backpack.

I play funkrockreggae, and for what I do, there's gotta be that boom/thump that I just don't get from the house monitors.

Or, get yourself a bass-guitar designed monitor that angles up towards you and gives you at least a tolerable bass tone.

8. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

there's the rub ... completely at the mercy of a soundman .

i personally like to feel my sound , through at least one good cabinet .
    { although i also use front of house , direct from my SVP-PRO . }
    nothing but stage monitors just dosen't cut it for me ... jmo , ymmv.

9. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Yeah that is what I am leaning towards MoPhat. As far asthe bass angled monitor goes.

David-yeah I rarely even use the stage monitors, which is why I face my cab towards the center of the stage so I can use it as my personal monitor