1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Quasi-emergency - what's a good small amp (or combo) for a ~100 person gig < $800?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rob_the_bassist, Mar 20, 2013.

1. I need an amp for a gig tomorrow so I'm thinking of just going out and buying one. What's a good combo amp/cab under $800? Looking for a warm sound that I can also use for my double bass.

2. RC52

RC52

Apr 10, 2010
    Laurens, SC
    GK MB115

3. RC52

RC52

Apr 10, 2010
    Laurens, SC
    Or

Ampeg BA115

4. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    Acoustic B200 (specially this new one - MKII)

5. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    It seems silly to drop $800 on a decision you're not prepared to make. Why not just rent a rig for tomorrow, and then afterwards take your time, do your research, and then buy something that fits your needs?

6. Can I rent a rig this short in advance? That's a good idea

7. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    So you don't have an amp at all? Or do you just not have a size appropriate rig?

8. No amp at all - living in NYC, rig from college was moved when my folks moved houses on Sunday

9. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    That's what rentals are there for. Get on the horn to your local post haste. Most places do rentals. GK, Ampeg and SWR are all very popular rental amps.

It might cost you 80-100 bucks.
    Alternately you could blow your dough and get something quite cool for $800. I'd be looking at grabbing the TC BG250 and coming home with change but I've no idea how that amp would react to an upright.

10. Can you just run direct to the PA for one gig, and then take your time to decide on an amp that would fulfill your future needs? You might want to take your time to decide what features you want instead of spending money in a hurry and getting stuck with something and losing money selling or trading it later. If not I would probably look at the GK micro amps. They seem to work pretty good for upright from what I have read, and pretty nice amp all around.

11. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    Guitar Center's rents out their "used, for sale" gear. Might be a good way to try before you buy, too.

12. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Yes. This.

13. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    Get a Radial DI, Sans Amp BDDI, or Eden preamp/DI. Straight to FOH, ask sound to put you in the monitor.

Then come home and buy Carvin BX500 and BRX210 Neo cab. Done.

14. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    HA! I actually copied this link before I saw your post. Yes the Carvin BX500/BRX10.2 half stack will blow the doors off most any combo out there with clarity, punch, depth, and overall tone. The versatility of the head is crazy and you can add another cab later if you want, but it won't be needed unless you're playing big halls with everything mic'd except for the bass. :bassist:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/BX500-10.2

15. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Ask for a deal through forums@musiciansfriend.com on a TC BG250.

More than likely be in the 320-340 range shipped (a guess).

at 35 lbs it is the best amp for the money right now. Hands down.

16. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    You know what they say about great minds, and thinking alike and what not, my friend :cool:

17. I got my BA-115 used from the local mom and pop music store for $299. Not enough oomph for loud rock bands but sounds sweet within its limits.

18. If I wasn't at my day job today I would scour CL and try and get a nice used rig, then if necessary call the local stores and start by asking about used... $800 will get you a lot of bass rig and there are LOTS to choose from in that budget.

19. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I agree with the concept of renting something for the show and then springing for the BX500 and a 2x10 or 1x15 cab. As stated above, that setup is very versatile. By itself it is great for smaller gigs, and you could easily expand later by adding a second cab. The BX500 is also a great backup amp if you ever expand to a larger setup one day, as it is very small and light for the amount of power it puts out (I use a much bigger/more powerful head for most gigs, but I usually stash my BX500 in the car or a bag in case of emergency).

20. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

Dec 31, 2011
    Brooklyn
    try BEST INSTRUMENT RENTAL
    my friend Jon runs the drum dept there, but they have everything.
    where is the gig? do they have a PA?