Queen return of the champions

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Murf, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Hi Guys/gals,
    just got a copy of this http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-6514178-6674568?v=glance&s=music&n=507846
    being a longtime die-hard queen fan I had a few reservations about this (I mean come on Mercury is irreplaceable).....but...its actually extremely GOOD!!!!...Paul Rogers is an animal on the rockier tracks (I want it all, tie your mother down etc.) and dare I say sings some of em better than Mercury did :eek:

However his voice dosent quite suit some of the more "bombastic tunes" (Another one bites the dust is atrocious (imo)..and the show must go on is ok..at least he sings it in tune and hits all the high notes..he's just missing dare I say the theatrics of mercury.

Having said that he does a brilliant job overall..that guy has got some SERIOUS power in his voice. The band are top notch, Taylor although a few pounds heavier is playing brilliantly and some of the new arrangements are fantastic (hammer to fall)..Brian May is a bloody guitar genius, I've never heard him play better.

Bass wise Danny Miranda does a really really good job filling Deakys shoes and he even cuts loose with a tasty slap break in Radio GaGa...the vocal harmonies are top notch.

Overall check it out I think die hard queen fans will be pleasantly surprised at how good it (and Paul rogers) is (are).

2. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Bought this too.
    Couldn't agree more with your review. :cool:
  3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I'm not surprised! Paul Rodgers has always been one of the best singers in rock.
  4. ChrisFG

Oct 27, 2005
    I had the great Luck to see those guys in Dortmund/Germany at the Westfalenhalle! This Hall is well known for its great Sound...and what a gorgeus sound they had!

Paul Rodgers is a great "Frontsau" as we say in Germany, and the most important thing: He is not a Mercury Copy!

The only thing i really miss is John Deacon! He had "class"!

5. Ehhh I think they would of been better with George Michaels
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Whoooooooooooooooaaaa... wait, not only Mercury is gone... but John Deacon too?!?! Jeez, that's a hard sell....
  7. Yeah.....I bought it & was pissed that Deacon wasn't on it.
    BTW....they detune a whole step for Another One Bites The Dust & he still can't sing that one.
    I thought Roger Taylor was great on vox doing Radio Ga Ga.
  8. Scottie

Scottie Banned

Oct 14, 2005
    I absolutely love Bad Company, and I absolutely love Queen..

but this cd is absolute garbage!!!!!!!
  9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

My thoughts exactly.
  10. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    With all due respect I'm interested in why you feel this way?

I'll be the first to admit its not perfect by any means ie its not Queen per say its billed as Queen + Paul Rogers, and Pauls "take" on some of the Queen material is ...unusual, but in fairness you cant deny his vocal ability (personally I think he does a better job of Tie Your Mother Down than Freddie did (and I'm a dyed in the wool Queen fan :eek: ) Brian May is playing better than I've ever heard him live and Taylor may look a bit "aged" and overweight but you wouldnt think it listening to him thundering his way through I want it all. Danny Miranda is playing Deacons parts verbatim (ok ..on a few listens that slap thingy on radio gaga probably is a bit naff). As for the Bad Company and Free material...sounds good to me.

(also this is the first Queen(ish) live recording I've heard where they actually do the proper vocal harmonies for the material)

I was a skeptic ..saw the show live..was blown away.

but thats just me ;)