Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

QUEEN We are the champions bass sound?Help please

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MusicMan16, Jan 24, 2006.

1. MusicMan16

MusicMan16

Nov 27, 2005
    hey guys, in the song we are the champions by queen there is a very smooth bass sound and for me its hard to explain, if anyone knows what i might have to do to get that sound i would highly apprechiate you telling me Thanks.

2. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    IIRC, John Deacon used a P bass with Rotosound Pressurewound strings. That and being John Deacon should get you close!!!!!

3. its true...john deacon didn't use any effects, maybe for the recording he had a compresser running, but other than that, it just sounds like a 70's p-bass through an ampeg (i don't know about the amp...thats just a guess)

4. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I could've sworn he used flatwounds. I just googled for "pressurewound" strings and I take it they sound bright like rounds except with less finger noise?

5. Brian D

Brian D

Dec 2, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    possibly half rounds would be you're best bet

6. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    To be honest i have no idea how they sound, but they are marketed as solo bass strings. I just remember an old advert for Rotosound that said that John Deacon used them

7. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Not that this is a string thread but I use pressure wounds on my Spector. My luthier recomended them and I love them. Not sure about less finger noise, but they are more "rigid" than others I have played which is nice for tuning to C, also feels great when they are fresh.

You its quite possible that WATC was recorded DI through a (now)vintage pre. Neve,Telefunken,API etc... Probably an 1176 was strapped across it too. I could easily be completley wrong, just thought I would through it out there.

8. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    according to the roto site www.rotosound.com/bass.html
    the pressurewound strings have more mass giving a brighter sound and less finger noise. I notice also that Queen are listed as past endorsees. That wouldn't be Brian as he used Maxima Gold strings! So kinda leaves John! Doesn't mention what he used however.

9. BassMan Biff

BassMan Biff

Nov 16, 2005
    John Deacon did indeed use Rotosound strings- of which type, I'm not sure as he kinda experimented with different ones like he did with different basses. Believe it or not, "Another One Butes The Dust" was recorded with a Musicman; don't know how! But, I can fill you in on his recording technique...

He would have 3 to 4 different things going on when recording- this is gonna be hard to replicate!

-Direct line from the bass into the board
    -(Sometime, when applicatable) direct line from the bass amp
    -Mic line from the bass amp's speaker
    -(This one is gonna make your head spin) recording monitor speaker line out.

Yes, up to 4 tracks just for the bass, all simutaniously. Now HOW and what MIX these were done in remains a mystery...guess that's between JD and Roy Thomas Baker.

Good Luck!