Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Queens Of The Stone Age bassist on Letterman

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Trev, May 13, 2005.

1. Trev

Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    If anyone caught the Queens Of The Stone age performance ("Little Sister") on Letterman recently - any idea what bass the bass player was playing?

Here are a couple of frames from that performance, maybe this would be helpfull.

[​IMG]

It kinda sounded like it had a short scale, tho I maybe wrong - I love the way it looks and sounds tho.

2. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    It's a really old Yamaha, but I don't know the model name.

3. Trev

Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    Thanks, bassaussie.

Anyone know if there are any other basses avaliable that are much like that one? As in, same Gibson ES-335-ish sorta look, semi hollowbody?

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    The Gibson EB-2 is the prime example.

5. Theshortlist_to

Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    Epiphone do one just like it. then of course there is gibson... :scowl:

6. Aria do one...

7. um....hold on a min.....I just saw them on MadTV a few days ago and that guy was playing g***r and keys.....another tall bald guy with a footlong goaty was playing a P-Bass for them......am I missing something?

8. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    That tall guy you saw was most likely their former bassist Nick Oliveri. If this is true, then this was an older performance I assume because he is no longer with teh band. FRom what I can tell, no one really knows who teh new guy is and he is not permanent. However, I don't think he was with the band before so maybe he looks like one of the other members.
    -Alex

9. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm pretty sure they had a complete line-up change between the new album and the album with Dave Grohl playing drums. I think the only original member is Josh Homme. I saw them (I think it was SNL or maybe Conan O'Brien) a few weeks ago and Josh Homme was playing bass...so...there no telling with these guys.

10. ale_vanlager

ale_vanlager

Jun 30, 2004
    Buffalo NY
    That's Troy Van Leeuwen, He plays g**tar, keys and bass. He used to be in A Perfect Circle.

11. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    The Epiphone Jack Cassady signature is similar, and there's the awesome Lakland Skyline Hollowbody, but of course it's not semi-hollow. If you could find a good used Guild Starfire, that's a solid bet. Incredible bass.

But my favorite of the current crop is the one I have: DiPinto Belvedere Standard semi-hollow, which doesn't have the Gibson ES look, but a body outline roughly similar to a Les Paul. It has a 34" scale and two large single coil pickups, which distinguish it from most of the breed, and provide a clear, very powerful tone. The nut is Jazz width, so it plays quite well. It's really amazing. Mine's gold.

http://dipintoguitars.com/basses_belvedere-std.html

12. Take a looksie for an older Epiphone Rivoli, or an Ibanez Artcore double cutaway if you want longscale, and they are really cheap, and play very nice and sound cool

Ron

13. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Each of them takes their turn on the Bass. Josh, Troy and the new guy...i forget his name. I saw them live recently, and thought it was pretty cool how each member was playing bass for different songs.

14. Trev

Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    Hey everyone, thanks for all the replies and the suggestions. I'll be looking into those Aria and Epiphone basses. I do remember now.. when I started playing bass an uncle of mine used to have a bass quite like those ones... and I think it may have been either a Yamaha or a Hohner copy... got to ask him about it. Anyways thanks again!

15. Trev

Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    Oh yeah, I totally forgot about those Artcores. Wanted to check some of their guitars out a while back... totally slipped my mind that they made basses in that line as well. Thanks!

16. New guy's name is Dan Druff(clever, eh?) and he's been with the Queens since "R" as a studio hand and guitar tech. I'm gonna see them in a month, can't wait.

17. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal

No worries! Hey, I still don't know the model name, but I found a nice pic of one .....

[​IMG]

..... and, by sheer coincidence, it's on an Aussie website! :D Nice looking bass, hey?

http://www.guitarcrazy.com.au/YamSABass.htm

18. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    The guitar version is part of some SA series. So perhaps that's the basses name too, it varies though, from SA-30 to SA-2000. The SA-30T seems to be the one though. Hey, he even has a SA signature guitar, so that makes sense.

19. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

He played a Black Epiphone Jack Casady Bass on the Fuse performance.

20. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Echoing the Yamaha call - he has an endorsement deal and signature g*itar with them, so a one-off, NOS, or original that's been refurbished by their artist shop is the logical train of thought.