Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Queens of the Stone Age bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by 311fan2001, Sep 18, 2002.

1. What does everyone think of him? Good? Bad? Pile of crap? Tell me what you think.

2. nick olivieri. grooves like a mofo. and can sing, to boot.

3. Dig it... he really grooves on the last album they made.

4. Blunk

Blunk

Aug 14, 2002
    I really like Nick oliveri, i love that little solo he has on the No One Knows track from their new ablum. He really rocks, and has a good voice too.

5. biting_nails

biting_nails Guest

Sep 10, 2002
    queensland, australia
    he's excelent in my opinion. he's bringing back true rock n roll bass playing

6. I don't like QOTSA, but this is going a bit far, if it's for real-

http://myheart2gsus.freewebspace.com/queens1.html

STOP QOTSA! the "songs for the deaf" title is even "an enormous slap in the face to all hearing impared persons", apparently.

there go QOTSA's sales soaring through the roof;)

EDIT- check out the entries in the guestbook:p:D

7. THAT IS HILARIOUS!!! Pure comic genius!!!!

..................uh......it is fake, right?

8. that page is quite obviously a joke. anyone who posted a rant on that guestbook is a dim bulb.

9. I've only heard that new single but IMO-he's awseome. I really dig that solo-especially with a pick! Very tasty.

10. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    dig the playing, hate the singing!

on a personal note: 311fan's name reminds me that my guitarist, an avid 311 fan, abhors QotSA. we were listening to QotSA with my drummer as we were driving to (and fro) mars at West Palm Beach...and the drummer and guitar player actually got into a fight over it! he can be such an idiot, i f'n swear...

11. Blunk

Blunk

Aug 14, 2002
    Did any of you hear about what actually happened on the first night or their new record release?

Around 30 deaf people turned up to the venue, expecting, well, songs for the deaf. Apparently they saw the funny side of it.

I honestly expected something like that to happen.

12. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm afraid thats actually a legit site,, written by some christian mother "Horrified" by the filth that goes into our ears. I checked it out pretty extensively,, she's just some over zealous soccer mom trying to do her part for the kingdom of God. I'm a Christian myself,, but some of her tactics seem ill directed and flat out zany. Not to mention that QOTSA is IMO quite conservative,, compared to Nile or some band like that.

She says her hobbies include "..baking for the church bake sales, chrocheting and listening to music. I especially enjoy Vivaldi".

^ I didn't think the Amish had electricity?;)

IMO,, yes "bad" music does exist,, I probably listen to some of it,, I know I'm not influenced by it because I have my own morals and ideals. Perhaps a "weaker" person may be influenced by it, but there's always something coming at you,, music is one of MANY things in this life that can.

P.S.; Her recipe for Shrimp Creole soup looks good tho!!

:p

13. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    In defense of those who did post (I didn't bother myself), these people really do exist, and some of them can even figure out how to make a web page! Look at the rest of her site, if it is fake it is tremendously well executed.

14. Iced Rush

Iced Rush

Sep 22, 2002
    CA
    her listening to vivaldi is a disgrace, for vivaldi music is great while her thinking is not....

15. People like this make me sick. They always attack hard rock and metal music. But no one looks at the pop stars...and their messages are far worse then what metal's got to say (for the most part).

Examples.
    Nelly- "It's getting hot in here...so take off all your clothes"
    Britney- Has a song on her latest album called "I'm a slave 4 u." (Can't they atleast use real words?)

Pop music (for the most part. There are some exceptions I'll admit) Are influcing the youth to dress and act like whores and pimps, to act stupid and how to be like everyone else...yet no one seems to notice this fact.

Some people have absolutely not common sense I swear.

16. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
  17. hayngman

hayngman

Aug 20, 2002
    Wise County, TX
    Right on!

I'm really not too impressed with QotSA, but every time I hear them, I stop and can't help but listen to the groove. Oh no...subliminal messages. They must be stopped from doing Satan's work!:eek:

18. People should lighten up and be impressed by Nick's "I can't be arsed" expression when playing that solo bit on the Glasto live performance! He just stands there and grins a bit - He Rules!

19. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Yup he's the man alright. No nonsense, no frills, balls out rock.

The lines are simple, yet absolutely right on the money. It's not anything I can't and dont do myself in my heavy band, but it's great bass and dead right for the songs and that IMO is what makes him great.

His singing too, is very cool.

Josh Homme is the man on guitar too.

20. one of my favourite if not my favourite character.

Ever since his days in Kyuss I've loved this guys bass lines (like the explosive HWY 74).

Nick Oliveri aka Rex Everything also featured in the dwarves and Mondo Generator.

If you like his singing check out mondo generator. Pure Oliveri

I think I've given this guy enough of a wrap.