1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Queensrÿche (the one with everyone but Geoff) new song!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Hamlet7768, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011

Pretty rocking if you ask me. I'd say they're on the way to a nice comeback.

2. Its OK. Not crazy about the production. Way too compressed, but what isn't these days. Unfortunately I think the best days of QR are behind them with or without Geoff Tate. A classic case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. On a related note, I don't hold any great hope for the Tate version of QR either. I would rather just enjoy everything from 1990 and prior.

3. Not bad, definitely has the Queensryche sound/feel...I like

4. Digging it

5. Razzmatazz

Razzmatazz

Oct 23, 2011
    First impression: well done, very reminiscent of their late 80's early 90's sound though it just feels like nostalgia to me.

6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    To me this absolutely does not work without the original singer.

7. Caeros

Caeros

Jul 24, 2002
    Branford, CT
    It works better with Todd than with Geoff. Geoff is too ego-driven and his voice is completely shot at this point. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the band can do on their own without Mr. Vest holding them back.

8. rupture

rupture

Jan 27, 2012
    No DeGarmo no Tate, NOT Queensryche

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    This is better than anything I've heard from them in years. And, if this guy can sing live, he'll have something on Tate....

10. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    I.E. Chris DeGarmo - No disrespect to the other guys, Chris was just a very talented and prolific writer while he was in the band.

I think there's a lesson here, be careful what you do when you're 20 'cause you might not be able to or might not want to do the same stuff when you're 45...

But, hey, the world would be worse off without Queensryche so what the heck...

:bassist:

11. lebaron

lebaron

Sep 13, 2008
    hummm, sounds auto-tuned to me and way over processed. Curious of what Tate will come up with, maybe this whole thing can stir up something thats been lacking since DeGamo quit.

12. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    I thought it sounded auto-tuned too, but I'm not sure.

13. Caeros

Caeros

Jul 24, 2002
    Branford, CT
  14. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    The song is very autotuned.

I got my carriage kicked on the Youtube because I suggested in the comments that the melodyne autotune effect they've used on the vocals sounds superfluous. All these fans went at me and marked my comment as spam because apparently if you pretend you can't hear it then it's not there.

Anyone who's used melodyne or similar will recognise that sound anywhere. It's not delay or reverb. It's not a flanger, it's not a deliberate phase effect. That's autotune, plain and simple. It doesn't sound like he tracked off pitch either which confuses me as to why they've slathered that on there.

15. I've been a long time QR fan. Hated when Chris left the band. I saw QR with Todd. He sounds a lot like Geoff. No argument there. But the live act sounded horrible. Maybe they had a bad night. It felt like they were just going through the motions.
    Now then, I just saw Geoff's QR the other night at Club Nokia in LA. What a great show. And Geoff's voice was great. Not to mention the all star line up. Rudy Sarzo still kicks butt on bass! Too bad they did not play anything off the new album though. Sorry to hear about all the crap talk out there, but I'm siding with Geoff (out Tater Tot to the haters). Geoff helped define QR's sound. The new QR album Frequency Unknown rocks! But hey, what do I know, right? LOL

16. Caeros

Caeros

Jul 24, 2002
    Branford, CT

Man, Geoff's voice is shot. Check out the footage of Revolution Calling and Suite Sister Mary if you dare... sounds like the band barely rehearsed before they went on this tour.