1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ques about Fernandes Gravity dlx 5

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by unraveling, Aug 21, 2012.

1. unraveling

unraveling

Aug 21, 2012
    Hi everyone in Talkbass, virgin post here...

I've got this Fernandes Gravity Deluxe 5 string, made in Korea with serial number - FSG0800663. Just wondering if anyone know what bridge is used for this version of the bass? I checked the original website, and nope, the bridge looks pretty much different from mine though, thus, just asking. (already emailed Fernandes even, but so far nil reply...)

Also, I would like to upgrade my tuners and the bridge anyway, to say, gold grovers, and some better quality gold bridge; anyone have any suggestion which brand of bridge sld I get? Does it include drilling and some other process though? Thanks y'all! =D

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Post some pics when you can, especially of the bridge.

The tuners are probably fine and will last for years before you need to think about changing them. But, if you're in the mood to spend the money, Hipshot makes an ultra-lite tuner that's a direct replacement.

Bridges are a subject of much debate around here but the general rule of thumb is this: don't change something unless there's a specific reason. If the bridge is mechanically stable and you like the way the bass sounds then there's nothing to be gained by swapping parts. But again, if you feel like spending money most people like BadAss and Hipshot A series bridges. Just make sure you buy a bridge with the correct string spacing and be prepared to re-drill if necessary.

3. unraveling

unraveling

Aug 21, 2012
    Hey thanks ya, testing1two, for the reply and advice! Attached here is the link to the bridge...

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/1305/fernandesbridge.jpg

(damn, sorry for the huge image size =/ )

Well the bass sounds ok though, so far don't seems to have any issue 'cept a slightly wobbly B string (but that's probably the issue of the strings or something i guess), but if I intend to, upgrade the bridge eventually, anything to take note especially regarding getting the Badass V bridge? Cos' I read somewhere about having to shim the bass or something; sorry a total nuub here, thus ain't that sure about bass bridges!

4. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    That bridge looks stable enough to get the job done. You might notice a small change with a high mass bridge like a BassAss but it won't blow your mind or anything. You will have to re-drill though.

The shim thing has to do with the thickness of the bridge plate. If the BA bridge is thicker than the stock bridge then it's possible the bridge will sit too high on the bass and your action will be super high even with the bridge saddles lowered all the way. The solution is to put a shim under the neck to raise it slightly. It's a common solution and not too difficult to do yourself.

5. unraveling

unraveling

Aug 21, 2012
    Ah...now I understand it more clearly. Hmm, have to scout wisely, perhaps for another bass bridge that ain't too high compared to my original one (looking at Schallers also), i guess.

But for now I shall play for a while more with my original bridge heh...

Stil, thanks for all your advices and help! Cheers!

6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Looks like a decent high mass bridge similiar to or perhaps better then gotoh 201 bridge. Only reason to change it would be if wanting different color or easy top load. A baddass bridge will add some treble zingyness. So unless you want brighter sound Id stay away from them.

7. unraveling

unraveling

Aug 21, 2012
    Thanks darkstorm! taking ya advice, and some others..in the end i got myself the Hipshot A bridge in brass, definitely need to re-fill + re drill i guess...will update y'all how things turn out after the process! (the new bridge still on its way all across the globe lol)