Quesiton About Recently Purchased Czech Double Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by stevenmriley, May 3, 2004.

1. I am just wondering if anyone knows a way to date the bass I have purchased. Let me know and I will get back to you. Thanks.
  2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Posting some pics in detail will help. Front, back, corners, Scroll from all 3 angles, FF holes etc.

This will help at guessing but it has to be seen by an expert in person for examination to be sure.
  3. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Okay, so you are obviously not Steven REILEY from the Guarneri House.

I would suggest taking it to a bass luthier's shop. If you need a recommendation, tell us where you reside and someone can provide a quality shop.
  4. I do not currently own a digital camera or scanner. I will describe to you the odd characteristics I see:

1. The tuners have black knobs on them.
    2. The back of the body of the instrument is flat and slants off at the top.
    3. The f holes are not crossed in the middle of them.
    4. The front of the body it knotched from the cut-away up (just on the sides).
    5. The back of the instrument is two pieces sealed in the middle.

The only thing the tag reads inside the instrument is made in Czechoslovakia. It appears the rest has fallen of.

Maybe this can be of help? Thanks for your knowledge!
  5. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I dont' quite understand #4.

In either case, the Bass is after 1920. How much after can't be determined by your description alone. Pics will help. Ask a friend. It could be as late as 1990 but probably not.
  6. Actually it could be anywhere from 1918 to 1992. Those are the dates of when the country of Czechoslovakia was created and then dissolved. Aside from that, we know by the fact that it has a label showing the country of origin that it was probably made after 1910. That was the year the US Congress passed a law that required country of origin labels on all imported instruments and other items.
  7. #4 means that the sides have notches carved in them. I can't explain it well, so I will see what I can do for a camera.
    Thanks for all you guys help!