1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quesstions about alternatives to BDDI and FT Bassdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thejohnkim, Mar 7, 2008.

1. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    hey guys,

my quest for the ideal set of drive pedals has been going on for yeras, sometimes it loops me back to the same pedals i used to shun, only to make me leave them again for something new, and go back, and then new, and then old, and then new, and then i go broke and crazy....

:meh:

but i'm actually pretty happy with what i got, but trying to see if i can get myself a bit happier.

Has anyone found a single non-multi pedal that can mimic that raspy, cutting yet very touch-sensitive to digging in clipping thats in the Sansamp BDDI's? I love my programmable, and prob won't sell it even if i found a pedal like this, but it would be great to have when i want that exact edge to my sound without the fatness the BDDI adds.

I tried the FT Bassdrive, it didnt' have it, Guyatone's tube bass overdrive was very nasal, ampeg SVP-Pro turned more into high gain distortion, SWR IOD was quite nice, but a bit too lean in the lows, V-Twin, was no good, ODB3 - yea right, sparkle drive made me confirm the typical tube screamer circuit wasn't going to cut it. my zoom B2 doesn't really get it either, the clipping is softened up a notch or two.

:(

2nd question:

is there anything on the market that can give me the Boost section of the Fulltone Bassdrive in a standalone package that might be both cheaper and smaller? I used to own one, but i got so frustrated at how i could really only use one sound from that pedal at a time because I only liked the boost of comp-cut mode, and didn't like any other mode in that box, so with my pedaltrain 2 already maxed out, i'm wondering if there is something smaller that can give me the same sound.

i'm not looking for anything in the fuzz department or distortion department at the moment. (thankfully)

2. Paulitics

Paulitics

Apr 12, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    For your second question, the EHX LPB-1 is small, cheap and true bypass. I have never heard the fulltone boost in comp-cut mode but if it does what I think it does (clean boost with a little fatness added) then LPB-1 might be for you. Otherwise maybe just an eq pedal would work, you can get boost and with the poper eq settings probably get a sound similar to the fulltone.

3. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    nah, the boost section isn't just a clean boost, it gets very saturated without adding fatness to the original tone, which is why i like it

4. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I could be mistaken but I thought I'd read in these pages the the fulltone bassdrive in comp cut mode is a tube screamer clone. you could try lookng into other clones- do a search and I'm sure a few bass modded variants will turn up. I'm not certain but you could look into a voodoo labs sparkle drive or a keeley modded TS9.

5. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    mmmm, i already mentioned i tried tube screamers and the sparkle drive in the original post. they didn't have what i was looking for.

6. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Doh! Sorry-
    must... ...read .... before... ....typing!

7. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    If I understand your goal an OCD might fit the bill. Yes, loosely based on the tubescreamer, no TS sounds like the OCD though. Bassplayer had a shootout of OD's/Dist's with sound clips of many other pedals that gives you a decent sampling of what they can do. I quite like the Hematoma clips from that test.....http://www.bassplayer.com/story.aspx?content_id=24388

to listen to the others just click on one from the list on the right and the mp3 will be available.

8. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    cool

I checked out the soundclips of teh OCD that jetpackbassist uploaded. I like the clipping it does to teh lows, but the clipping in the highs seems too compressed for my taste. I think I got spoiled by the Fulltone Bassdrive's comp-cut boost section. sigh. i might ahve to suck it up and buy a bassdrive again and really cram my pedals in together.

i havent found any useful clips of teh fatboost yet, but i'm definitely open to trying that pedal out as well. any pointers on that pedal?

thanks for the help so far guys, i have a feeling i'll just ahve to give up for a while and see if the tech 21 vt bass is going to be any good.