Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quest for Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Arabesque-bass, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Dear TB-ers,

I'm about to go for a new fretless bass. Now I recently bought a Sadowsky Vintage 5 (NYC:cool: ) and really LOVE IT!!!

Now my other baby is a F-Bass BN5 and that's great too!!!

I have seen a nice Lakland 55-94 deluxe with lined Ebony fretboard and a BN5F. Both within the same region with the price.

I'm looking for a great sound palet and great playability of course but the most important is the "Jaco Sound" has to be included!

I'm living in the Netherlands so that makes it a lot heavier...
    We don't have as much nice pre-owned basses as you guys do............

Of course if someone is willing to sell his Sadowsky Vintage 5 fretless to me for a reasonable price PM ME!!!!!!!!:hyper:

Thanks for all you advice!!

Greets Frank

2. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    I got a Sadowsky fretless that is the Featured Bass of the Month on Sadowsky's website. It's the quilt top P body Jazz pickups. It is the sweetest sounding, easiest playing bass that I've ever owned, and I strongly recommend you considering a Sad fretless if you already enjoy the brand.

3. I'm thinking of that yeah but it's a little out of budget if I need to order a new one......

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have been playing my Modulus Genesis fretless a TON lately. It has taken a little sweat to get the setup right, but it is quickly becoming such a joy to play. I love the tone of this bass.

I went through a bunch of strings before settling on the Smith compressors. They are gentle enough on the fb but very modern, roundwound sounding. I like them a lot.

The best thing about the bass, IMO, is the flexibility of tone. It has the Bart J PUs and the Bart 3-band preamp. You can roll back on the bridge PU a bit, boost the mids a hair and get a really singing, Jaco-like fretless tone that has the perfect compliment of warmth and clarity.

With everything flat, you get a super solid bass tone that works in any situation. You can really disguise the fretless factor if you want to.

Or, you can back off the treble, roll up on the neck PU and get that tubby sound if you want.

I don't have a ton of experience with high end fretless basses, but I would certainly pick one up and give it a try if you happen across one.

5. check out <a href="www.carvin.com">Carvin</a> all there basses have the option of being fretless no charge, and there really nice IMHO what is your price range?

6. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    If you're looking for a bass that can easily emulate the Jaco tone, your best bet would be to buy a bass with at least one single coil jazz-style pickup in the bridge position. A standard Jazz Bass configuration would be the best at emulating the sound exactly, but you may find you want to explore other sounds, say with a PJ configuration.

7. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    i was really pleased that i bought the jaco relic....its a real insight into the jaco style ..but more than that its just an amazing high quality custom shop fretless with lots of other sound possibilities....i am truely taken by the neck and the tone....im gonna be buried with this one.

one thing you might want to consider is epoxy and lots of it ...with a low action...then the magic might start to happen. Also its really got to be a jazz ...the bridge pickup rolled off ...anything else probably wont get you there. When it happens you will know......

8. Hey Guys,

Thank you all for your advise. Now my problem is as follows. I own a Tobias Basic 5 in mint condition. It is a bass built by the original crew. Now someone offered me to trade it forr a Fender Jazz from 1974 fretless. Would that be a smart move????

9. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    to me that sounds very interesting and tempting....whats the state of the neck ??...also i have no idea what the tobias is worth???

10. Thanks! I have forwarded the pics to a Bass-store. It appeared that it's far from it's original condition. Therefore the value decreases big time!!!

The value for my Tobias will be approx 2000 Euro. (can be bought:)

11. If it's an original Tobias, I'd still stick with it. If you want to LOOK and sound like Jaco, then go for the 74 fretless, but PLAY IT FIRST - see it...god knows what a 30 year old bass will be like.

Check out the six string Overwater Fretless on Ebay! They are INCREDIBLE instruments, and you'll never see another one on there. If I was in the market for a fretless, I'd be fighting tooth and nail for it.