Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quest for smooth low end- advice?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jamh2000, Oct 12, 2004.

1. jamh2000

jamh2000

Aug 15, 2001
    I have really been struggling with finding the right bass for me as of late. What I want, is something that will give me a smooth, fat sound that cuts through and really supports. The kind of thing you hear in gospel-soul music. My main basses at the moment are a modulus flea bass, wich obviously isnt suited to that kind of thing, and a warwick corvette standard wich is just a little too growly and distinctive to be a real 'bass' bass. Sorry my discription is so poor, but you know what I mean- I want a powerful , audiable supportive bass sound that isn't too sharp or agressive. I bought a stingray 5 but found it much too in you face and agressive, but I did like the big bottom.
    Any help much appreciated.

2. An Epiphone Rivoli hollowbody, or a P bass... the Rivoli is stort scale, and I can't believe the thump coming off the mudbucker, and the P is kinda the standard for blues and the like, short of acoustic upright.

3. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    P-bass with Thomastik-Infeld Jazz flats. You will not be disappointed. It was the end of my tone quest. Sits well in almost any mix.

Smooth, buttery, expressive tone. :cool:

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Check out a Dingwall, if its in your price range. You can hear clips here: www.dingwallguitars.com/fd3/ (hmm, seems to have removed the sound clips page) or the songs linked in my sig I use a Dingwall Afterburner I, 5 string, usually flat EQ.

5. etherbass

etherbass

May 24, 2004
    any fender jazz bass, both pickups to full..roll the tone off just slightly. it growls and has round low end. been a classic for decades.

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    If you're looking for a smooth, fat, gospel/soul vibe, it sounds like a Roscoe might be in order.

7. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Before you start selling and buying basses looking for that tone, you might want to try working with your technique first. A lot of those guys get that big, supportive r&b tone by dialing up the lows on the eq, add some mids for definition, then playing very softly to keep from causing the amp to clip or the speakers to bottom out. It's kinda hard if you're typically a rock player, it takes a little discipline to not pluck too hard, but I've found that big, fat gospel-style tone hiding in basses that you wouldn't think had it. You just have to play with very very clean, controlled technique, because you're using a lot of eq.

If you watch some of those guys closely, you can hardly see their plucking hand moving.

8. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    Listen carefully to these words of wisdom young Padwan- and all the bass tone in the world will be yours. :D

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    MTD seems to be a very popular brand among gospel bassists.

10. Smith, too, if i'm not mistaken.

robb.

11. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Lakland also seems popular with the Gospel folks, the 55-04 and 55-05 models anyhow.

12. Alembic series I or rogue with vermillion body and top + ebony neck lams. Doesn't get much fatter than that!

13. also, i'm going to come from left field with this one, but in my experience, you can get a very smooth, fat sound out of an ibanez BTB 1005e. don't bother with the 300 or 400 series basses. the 515e bass i played once was very warm and rich with good definition. bartolini will do that for you.

robb.

14. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    MTD and Smith are used quite often in modern Gospel music, but alot of those guys are just comping funk rhythms and tend to slap and pop alot; that and there is usually a keyboard doubling the bass line so the bassie can "step out" a bit.

IMO, Etherbass is right on the money.

:edit: For your needs I would go with Squidfinger's rec. ;)

15. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    44-02, 55-02 or even a 55-94 doesn't matter

16. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Re-string that Stingray 5 with TI Flats and tell me your problem isn't solved.

17. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

+1

that's a trend i've noticed as well...mtd's and pre-gib tobiases

18. A Peavey Cirrus will give you smooth, or in your face, although it's a little more in your face by nature.

I also have to second those P-bass suggestions, especially this one: http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0194060

WHAT A WARM, MELLOW TONE I was getting out of using just the neck pup. I think it's a little closer to the neck than the pickup on a regular P-bass. I was playing one yesterday.

A very nice Fender bass !!! :bassist:

Mike ;)

19. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Sounds like you need a Ken Smith to me.

20. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Before you do anything drastic try some TI Flats on that Warwick.