Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quest For The Cup

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cassanova, Mar 11, 2004.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    O.K. Hockey fans. Im curious to see what team(s) you think will play for the Stanley Cup.

Im thinking this is the year for the Tampa Bay Lightning. Martin St. Louis is on fire, Vincent LaCavelier has seemed to really come on strong the second half of the season. Not to mention Feditanko (sp) and Anderchuck (SP) I think my guys have a serious shot at actually winning the cup this year. We're 1st in points now too. :hyper:

BTW, can someone please explain what the point systym is all about. I used to think it was like football and the teams with the best records in each division went to the playoffs.

Id also like to know what this means. EX: 52-16-3-3 I know the first 3 numbers are win, loss, ties. But what does the last number represent?? Im still learning about the game so I dont know.

2. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    The numbers are win-loss-tie-overtime loss.

In the regular season, win=2 points, tie=1 point, overtime loss=1 point. This is why an extra column is needed.

The playoff system is that the top eight teams in each conference qualify, with the three division leaders taking the top three spots.

As for who is going to win it all, I have no clue whatsoever. There are too many good teams this year, and each has their own specific cross to bear (ie, Ottawa's lack of grit, Toronto's inconsistent defence, Detroit's injuries, etc). I don't think New Jersey can repeat this year, especially without Scott Stevens on D.

T-Bay could do it - they've been a heckuva surprise this year and I'm sure nobody wants to play them in the first round. My only question would be whether they have the playoff experience and leadership to do it, should they fall behind in the playoffs.

That said... Go Leafs Go!!! :hyper:

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I think that the Stars are peaking at the right time. They had a lot of problems in the first half of the season, but they are hot right now, and the team is starting to gel, and Turco is playing very well. Now if we can just avoid injuries, and make up enough ground to finish in the upper bracket.

GO STARS!!!!:D

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'd LOVE to see my 2 Favorite taams, the Avalanche vs the Islanders.

For me it's tough to judge the series cause all it takes is a hot streak for the #8 seed to knock out the #1 seed (which is what I'll be hoping for if the Isles can hold on to the 8th place.)

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    As a lifelong Penguins fan, I hate the Flyers with every fiber of my being....but, I think they may end up in the finals. Either them, or Ottawa.

In the West, I'll take Dallas.

-Mike

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I was wondering that myself about the experience or lack there of in the playoffs for the Lightning. They did make the playoffs last season, so I know a couple of guys have a little bit. Darryl Sedor I believe has playoff experience as well.

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Well, I should say the kings... but I go farther south and go for the Ducks...

Mainly cause of the movies.

8. Same team as where I live.

9. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    OMG, a Devils fan! I thought they were an endangered species! ;)

10. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Go STARS!

Marty's keeping the net better than ever, and the team is doing GREAT (except for that 0-4 Tues)

ek

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    From the thread title I thought this might be a Holy Grail expedition.

12. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I think the Lightning have all the components to take the cup :D I'd love to see them win it, with them being my favorite team and all :)

13. The competition is appears much better this year than in a long time, especially in the east. Tampa is definitely for real, and all the other teams significantly improved their teams at the trade deadline. The only team I'd really be surprised to see advance to the second round would be the Islanders/Buffalo (whoever gets the 8th spot).

I don't think it is as tight in the west. With the moves Colorado made at the deadline to add a little depth I think they, along with the Red Wings, are a step above everyone else. The Stars could compete if they get hot, but I don't know if their defensemen are good enough to compete against a team like Detroit. Of course, strange things can happen as we saw last year.

14. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ

15. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    It is!!!!!!! :)

16. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    :crying:

BTW, I'm :crying: 'cause I think you're right.

17. i can see ottawa in the finals, they almost had it last year, except they let it go in the last 5 minutes of game 7 last year, that was a heartbreaker. boston has a good chance, they've really really picked up their game this year, and if they can keep it up, i think they can have a good chance at things. if not this year, next year if they keep it up. i'm hoping that we get to see another boston dynasty like there was so many years ago

18. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    AVALANCHE!

Super Joe is on a roll, Kariya has found his groove, The whole team is clicking now.

19. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I'm just hoping my Islanders get into and/or past the first round. :meh: DiPietro made 45 saves last night. He's inconsistent but when he's good, he's really good. A hot goalie isn't a bad thing come playoff time.

Tom

20. Toronto could do it!!!

as I true leaf fan I say that but don't believe it.

they are due though.

as long as a few players don't die from old age we got a chance :smug: