1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question ablut Eden amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthew P. Morris, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Matthew P. Morris

Matthew P. Morris

May 3, 2007
    Hello all,

I used to own a Eden WT800 and loved it, I really fell in love with the EQ section of the amp. I am in need of a smaller amp new or used and would like another Eden. Do they have any other models with the EQ section from the WT800 but in a smaller amp?
    Thanks

2. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    All the WT World Tour amps use(d) the same preamp- WT-300 mono 300 WRMS @ 4 ohms, WT-400 mono 400 ERMS @ 4 ohms, WT-550 mono 500 WRMS @ 2 ohms, WT-500 stereo 250 WRMS @ 4 ohms/side and 500 WRMS @ 8 ohms bridged, WT-600 stereo 300 WRMS @ 4 ohms/side or 600 WRMS @ 8 ohms bridged.

SandCBass likes this.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You want the WT-550. 500 watts at 4 ohms. They used to tout it at 720 watts at 2 ohms, but I don't see that on their site now.

SandCBass likes this.
  4. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Excellent suggestion...because my WT-400 is not for sale. :)

M. M.

OldPlucker likes this.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have a 1996 WT-300 that I bought new. It sounds so good, I can't get rid of it. I'm playing more micro amps now, but I'm keeping the WT-300.

6. blowinblue

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Mine was purchased new in 2002, one of the last years they were made in Montrose MN. I hang on to mine for the same reason. It sounds so good I can't get rid of it. Also have a couple of micros, but there is no logical reason to part with the Eden.

M. M. :)

7. Bassmann1968

Bassmann1968

Feb 17, 2009
    Germany
    Wt550 is the one to go for or the WT300/400 which has been in many people's mind the
    Best sounding Eden ever.
    I myself started with a WT400 my Eden adventure and sold it for a bigger Eden.
    Nowadays I got one back in my arsenal and also planing on building a classD version.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  8. popgadget

popgadget Commercial User

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road

In 1996 the WT-300 WAS a micro!
    I've still got my WT-400 (one of the last ones, it's got a speakon output) , it's doubtful that I'll ever part with it.

9. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I often use mine at 2ohms, no problem and heaps of power to run a few cabs.

Just a really good and quality made amp that keeps on sounding great, and has resisted various bouts of GAS caused by newer offerings.

If you don't mind the medium weight they are a great choice, and used a super deal.

10. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Had both the 400 and 550. Both sounded great but to my ears, the WT400 was the warmest sounding of the WT series. Wish I still had mine!

11. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    Have you thought about the wtdi? It's the WT series EQ section in a pedal form . When I want an Eden tone I plug that into my amps effects return and all is well.

12. TomJ4Eden

TomJ4Eden

Feb 3, 2015
    St Paul, MN
    FWIW, they moved the factory from MN to Mundelein IL in Aug of 2006. That's when I lost my job there. Dave threw a great BBQ appreciation lunch that day. Nothing but good memories.

I've had a VT40, a couple of WT-300s, a 400 and a CXC300 - a WT 300 with a solid state front end. and a CX210. Great amps, All of them. Wish I still had a 300. What was I thinking. :rollno:

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  13. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    I've got the WT-550 and it works great for me. Plenty of juice and close enough to "micro" for me. I just got it about a month ago after a 8-9 year absence from Eden. That eq is the reason I came back!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    S-Bigbottom likes this.
  14. blowinblue

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Thanks for the reality check. Some of us Eden owners feel a bit sad for ourselves because we figure our amps aren't worth as much or held in as high esteem as they were before the sellout to USM Corp. Losing your job takes it to a completely different level. Sorry for your loss. :(

M. M.

15. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    SoCal
    As many have mentioned the WT-550 is a good option here. I've found the WT-800 to be a bit darker sounding than the 550 out of the box, but they've voiced very similarly.

Generally on a 800 you need to add some boost at ~5k, or via the treble knob to make it sound like a 550; to make a 550 sound like a 800 you basically just cut a bit on treble or 5k.

16. RobBottom69

RobBottom69

Aug 2, 2012
    SF Bay Area
    I have the WT-405 and it's an awesome amp. The only piece of gear I have that is a gas killer. Every time I think about getting a new head, or a pedal, or a Tech 21 type thing I can never pull the trigger because I really love the pure sound of this amp. I can't convey this enough to my wife, just how much she should worship this amp because of that. :thumbsup:

I've blast it at 2.67ohms and never had any problem going against two Fender Twins and 2 drummers. I was using a rack EQ but pulled it out because I thought it sounded better with just the Eden. I mostly run it flat then add a little bit of eq to taste with a rack compressor, or sometimes I'll use the Crown power amp and used the preamp section of the Eden.

17. TomJ4Eden

TomJ4Eden

Feb 3, 2015
    St Paul, MN
    eh, no biggie. It was part time and I needed something full time to support the family. I should mention the USM buyout did come a few years earlier, but all the old ladies building circuit boards and the guys assembling and testing the amps were the same as before. Great group of people. They even made all the raw speakers there are had a huge messy cabinet shop where they built the boxes.

18. Matthew P. Morris

Matthew P. Morris

May 3, 2007
    Wow man this is way more info than I asked for.
    I did own the WT DI shortly but it gave off a lot of noise or high frequency interferance when plugged in so I got rid of it.

These are all great suggestions.
    Ultimately I would like a NON rack unit on the smaller side.
    My GK MB fusion went bad two weeks ago... Bad power supply and PC board...so I am on the prowel for a replacement.

Are the WTX and E300 amps worth looking at or should I avoid them?