Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question aboot Comp. Virus

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jon Burnet, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    Just wondering if any of you computer guys know anything about a new virus of some sort. i was downloading some stuff i know i probably shouldnt then my computer stopped connecting to the web now it wont even freakin boot! i think i have a remedy..... a freakin hammer and a gift certificate to the mac store...grumble grumple pc grumble

2. http:/www.never.download.anything.without.an.online.virus.scanner.dumbass.:p.com

3. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    hey i resemble that! :D seriously no word though?

4. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    That could be any one of a thousand viruses, StingrayGuy. What kind of errors do you get when you boot? Which operating system?

Lemme know... I happen to be a Microsoft Technical Support Engineer, so I might be able to help you out.

5. Related question: Can you get a virus by saving a file to disk but not manually opening it? I ask because if I tend to simply scan everything I download before I open it.

6. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    98 no errors just sticks on the scan page when it boots. if it finnally does boot when i try to open winipcfg it wont. it just hovers and in the event it does open it when i try to release the ip it does absolutely nothing.

7. Most virus programs have you create a boot disk on installation. Now is the time to use it.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I never download anything I didn't request. I delete... better safe than sorry.

9. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    ok ok it was from a downloaded version of warcraft 3... i learned my lesson!

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    oh, dude. cracked versions of games _always_ have some kind of present in them. this crap might not even be detectable by anti virus software - there could be some kind of executable wrapped around the program that purposefully corrupts your machine.

NEVER NEVER NEVER download an exe from an untrusted source. you can NEVER tell what's going on. i could write an executable to totally scramble your machine , make it look really big and believable, call it "warcraft 3" and no anti-virus software is going to catch it.

you're looking at reformat/reinstall of o.s., imo.

11. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    yup lookin at a reformat tonight when i get home. 6 YEARS OF FILES!!!!!!! new machine same hard drive.. .i am sad but hey it will make my machine run faster.

12. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
  13. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Also, with some viruses, even formatting the hard drive won't get rid of them. Some of the little suckers get into your master boot record. If that's the case, you'll have to use the FDISK /MBR command on the Windows 98 Boot Disk (run the command a few times to be sure the MBR is overwritten completely).

14. Ahhh, microsoft....I'm so glad I'm a QNX convert (and Red Had Linux for development)...

...no viruses for linux or QNX.

15. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    No you can´t, you have to execute/open the file for the virus to start to work.

For those who have outlook, please take your preview pane off, if you get an e-mail with a macro virus, it is automatically opened if you have the preview pane on by default. I always delete suspicious e-mail from unknown sources.