Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question abou recording bass solo

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by leffe luffer, Apr 23, 2004.

1. I play metal in a band and when I was writingdown a bassline for one of our songs I included a bass solo in the tab. We write our songs in powertab so that we can hear what we write in midi. Anyway I asked the guitarist to listen to the midi so that he could give me his opinion about the solo, if it fits or if it´s in the way of the song. If my solo doesn´t get cut out how should I record?

Should the solo be the only bass in that part of the song or should I write a rythm bassline to go underneath the solo or will that take up to much of the solos frequencies and make it to "muddy" so to speak? :help:

2. As a general principle, any soloing instrument should not be competing with others in the same area of the frequency spectrum, so you don't need a bass part, or any heavy drumming, while you solo.

Of course there will be times when two like sounding instruments fit well together, but as a starting point, play them one at a time.

3. Unless you want to work out a harmony part to your solo or a counter melody I would not suggest another bass part. When digitally recording in ProTools, during your solo you can put a boost on your bass part. If you record analog then you can just play it and I'm sure it will sound fine. Good luck with it.

4. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    When I was doing a record for a trio I play with, this very thing came up - obviously there's only one bass live. ;) There were two or three solo spots. My recommendation is to track the solo first and listen to what you've got - see if the groove ar overall lowend power changes too much during your solo. On one of our tracks it did, so I went back and did a very simple pedal - type low support part to keep the lowend together. It worked fine & kept the track sounding right without getting in the way. The other two tunes didn't need it. :cool:

5. Bull_Nasty

Bull_Nasty Banned

Apr 23, 2004
    The louder, more overbearing you can be...the better. The purpose of a bass solo is to show the audience that you are just as good as the guitar player. It is also your chance to humble the guitar player and put him in his place. Volume....Volume...Volume!!

6. Thanks for all the good ideas. The reason I thought about this subject is because you almost always will hear a rythm guitar playin under a guitarsolo so I just wondered if one should do the same for bass.

Thanks for the imput and I´ll se if I can post the solo or the whole song here sometime, gotta talk it over with the other guys.

7. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    no, not really.

any good guitar player can out-speed any bass player, unless we`re talking about billy shennan-like chops. he`ll play some simple sweep and hammer-on/pull off stuff, and you are done. if you play a guitar-style solo to compete with the guitarist, you`ll "loose" - write down a bass solo. they may be similar instruments, but the string size and frequencies do make a difference. learn to use advantages of your instrument, if you
    really want to go to a battlefield and compete with others.

and no, i`m not talking about slapping.

:bassist:

8. Well said. When making music one must keep in mind that the goal is to make music. The philosophy of "I'm better than you" is rarely accompanied by good music.

9. frodebass

frodebass

Apr 11, 2004
    Norway
    Hear hear!

It's about the music!
    An old comparism is to compare music with language.
    Some people use many many words, are enthusiastic, and can be quite convincing (especially young seller types...) others listen more, and occasionally speak.
    Nothing wrong with either really. Just time and place.

What kind of guy are you? Flashy outspoken guy, or more quiet?

Just because someone like Vic Wooten, or whoever is your cup of tea might be flavour of the month doesn't mean you gotta learn all his/her chops and play like that!

Finding ones personality on an instrument is a lifelong quest, go with your heart!

if you're gonna double track, do something with the solo or bass sound so that you don't track two bass parts with identical EQ'ing etc. Maybe experiment with panning? Put an effect on the solo, let the bass part be dry etc.

Good luck, and post your result!

10. This post comes from the heart and couldn't be stated any better!

+1

[​IMG]
    Treena

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    This couldn't be any more true. Music comes from the heart. Difficult thing is, a lot of the time, if you aren't REALLY experienced or only know your theory in your head, chances are the music just simply won't be good. Music theory, for me, is something you have to know intimately enough that you don't even think about it -- you just go. This allows me to just play and do some neat stuff -- also, years of experience can yield similar results (a lot of absolutely phenomenal musicians couldn't know less about music theory as it's taught, but rather, what sounds good --which, in a sense, is usually an expression of music theory -- they just don't know how to say "I played in __flat, with ___, ___, and ___ chord forms while inserting ____ ____ strategically on the ____ bar"). Music is sort of an emotional expression, once again, similar to speaking. Music theory, like language and the alphabet, are merely the conduits through which you can communicate and express to other people. You don't have to stop and think when to pause in a sentence, so why should you have to stop and think where the next chord is?

Also, another +1 to frodebass's excellent reply.