Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about 18V circuitry

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Danham, Mar 22, 2003.

1. Danham

Danham Guest

Feb 11, 2003
    Shreveport LA
    I recently ordered an EDA905 and am wondering something. It has 18V circuitry but only takes one 9V battery so I am assuming it has a transformer that steps up the voltage. Why not just use two 9V's in series? What is the difference between using a transformer and using batteries in series?:confused:

2. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Well, you'll buy half as many batteries!!

3. Woodsey

Woodsey Guest

I might have got this wrong but as far as i kno u need ac current to use a transformer and batteries use dc, so how does that work?

4. E.O.M.

E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Wouldn't drawing 18v out of a 9v battery make him buy twice as much?

5. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    But you can't draw 18v out of a 9v batterey, so there's something else going on in there!
    What, I don't know?
    :confused:

6. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    The primary advantange of powering a preamp with 18 Volts in lieu of 9 Volts is to get more headroom. Since P(power)=I(current) X E (voltage). Twice the voltage (18V) means you require 1/2 the current. I know that EMG pickups can be wired either 18V or 9V. Maybe the bass pre is capable of being wired for 18 volts but is currently wired for 9 volts.

7. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    No, to get the same power output yes but according to Ohms law

I = V / R

the circuit will draw twice the current

And no you don't need a transformer to up voltage you can double voltage with something called a charge pump its a combo of diodes and capacitors that when fed ac current outputs double voltage
    and to make ac from dc all you need is a basic osc. this could be made from a 74ls14 hex inverter or a 555 or even just a npn and pnp transistor

Although for this particular situation I'd say that it has a pre-amp capable of 18v but currently running at 9v

8. I have the same thing in my Spector with the Aggie OBP-1 - 18V circuit with one 9V battery. It has a Fishman voltage step dealie in it - uh, yea, that's a technical term :)

oh wait, i found the info - its a Fishman Voltage Doubler

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/i-5185/