1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question about 2 different woods....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove Severe GAS problems. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    What would the differences be between a bass with a mahogany body and a bass with a light amer. maple body...(soundwise i mean) this is assuming that all of the parts, accessories, and p-ups are the same. Same exact body....just what would the tonal advantages/disadvantages/differences be?
    Thanks
    Graham

2. I'm no expert, but I would think the maple would be a really bright sounding bass (rickenbackers are all maple). and mahogany would be a warmer, maybe thicker tone.

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    A soft maple body will be brighter than the mahogany, but not too much (as would a rock maple body:( )
    Mahogany is known as the center wood with some luthiers, i.e. not deep/warm, not trebly/bright, but just inbetween.
    I think Mahogany is a very widerange wood, with some emphasis on the midrange.

But when it comes to wood: your mileage WILL vary!

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    please specify the construction, bolt on, set in or neck thru. specify the pickup configuration and if it's a passive or active bass. these influence a lot the sound. when you are sure about these we can speak about the different woods. in general mahogany is a wood i like, but if used with other woods. mahogany and maple works well together. i don't like a lot maple for the body. that's a good wood (even if there are different types of maple...) but it is good for certain type of sound, not the most versatile.