Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question about 2 roland gk-3b pickups on one bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Guinea Pig, Mar 19, 2006.

1. hello,
    I've been interested in getting a v bass synth for awhile, but i was wondering if given enough space between the bridge pu and the bridge if it could some how manage to fit 2 gk-3b pickups in so i could use both the v bass and the gr-20 at the same. I don't see why this wouldn't be possible but maybe im missing something in the equation. Maybe someone with more knowledge of the gk-3b's cabilities could help me out.
    After finding out the gk-3b allows access to the gr-20 v.2 i couldn't resist the idea.

Thanks a bunch
    GP

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
  3. yea that would be a hell of alot cheaper. But its GK-2ah? is there a difference?
    Thanks
    GP

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I saw a guy at Nashville NAMM with a GK-3B equipped bass driving both a GR-20 and a V-Bass at the same time, so it should be exactly what you are looking for.

5. it would be hard to have two pickups, because they would both have to go in virtually the same spot...why not just get a midi distribution box?

6. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    The US-20 or the GKP-4 are both better solutions than trying to fit two GK pickups on your bass, unless you must have individual volume pots on your bass for the GR-20 and V-Bass....

A MIDI distribuiton box won't do it, because the V-Bass isn't a MIDI box like the GR-20 is.

Go with the US-20 like the bassmonkeee says, and you'll be fine. Oh, you'll need a couple of GK patch cables as well, obviously.

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Seems like that needs to be repeated in several threads a day sometimes ; }

8. thanks alot for the info, I'll deffinatly get myself a us-20. Now i have a new question. Can the gk-3b pickup work with an 8-string bass (4 string with octave strings) im building one in my woods class and thought the idea of putting a gk-3b pickup on it and use a v-bass/ gr-20 would result in something truley unique...maybe others have tried this before but i still think its a good idea. Imagine the fullness you could get out of those cosm sounds.

9. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I imagine that octave strings will make the GR-20 unhappy - after all, it is trying to figure out what note you are playing, and if you're giving it two notes into one pickup, I'm sure it'll crap its pants.

It might work, on some level at least, with the V-Bass.... but I don't know. Greenboy?

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Roland doesn't recommend GK use with double or triple course basses - even without MIDI. With midi it would defeat the purpose of hex pickups which is to have ONE note per sensor. So, MIDI or not I think it'd be a real problem. But if things were different and it worked it would limit the sonic flexibility anyway.

11. doesn't the vbass have pretty convincing 8 & 12 string simulations anyways?

12. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Yeah, I do a lot of octave-up stuff. I'd hate to be stuick with it turned on for each and every preset the entire song and setlist though ; }

13. thats sad, though understandable. I figured it would cause problems. Im glad i didn't cut out the peg holes yet. thouhg i may just still make a 8 string....i don't know, I really want the bass to function with the v-bass and the gr-20. ahhh im all messed up now.

14. VeeJay

VeeJay

Jan 21, 2006
    Marlow, Bucks, UK
    So far as I know the GK-3B works with 4, 5 or 6 string basses only. The GR-20 needs version 2 software for bass if you bought it before '04 like I did. Ah, you already know about V2

I just had a GK-3B fitted to an Ibanez K5 (with slight mod) but I won't have it back in my hands for another day. The techie says it tracks and responds just fine. Can't wait!