Question about 311

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sonorous, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I'm not much of a 311 fan, I don't really like the abrasive sound of the vocalists when they "rap". However I really like their songs like "Amber" and "Love Song" (yes I know it's a cover) and I was wondering if anyone could suggest some of their songs that are more like this.

I have their CD "Soundsystem" and have had it for a long time. I like the song "Come Original" and a few others that I can't quite recall.

Are there a few CD's or a particular era of time in which they are more reggae oriented?

Please help.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    95% of their stuff is rap/sing/rap/sing. I have all their cds except the new greatest hits one.. ill take a look for you.

EDIT: off hand i think you'd like the Evolver cd. Most of the songs are more singing than rapping. More harmonizing as well.

Some songs off it, Give me a Call, Crack the Code (some rapping of the backup vocalist but not much) Reconsider Everything, Same Mistake Twice..and well,

most of the cd. Id check it out if i were you. Its a great cd, despite what some people might say. I like all the songs.
  3. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Cool, thank you for the help.
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Now you've got me listening to this cd... havent listened to it in a while :p. Its quite a good cd. Some nice basslines in it as well.
  5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Check at Uncalm off of From Chaos. My favorite 311 song... it's got more of a spoken word feel than a rap feel, and the guitar line is pretty cool.
  6. Some nice, mellow 311 songs you should taste-test:

MUSIC: Do you Right, My Stoney Baby.
    GRASSROOTS: 8:16 am.
    self-titled 'Blue' album: Don't Stay Home, All Mixed Up.
    TRANSISTOR: Stealing Happy Hours, Transistor, Prisoner, Beautiful Disaster, Electricity.
    SOUNDSYSTEM: Come Original, Strong All Along, Eons.
    FROM CHAOS: Champagne, I'll be here awhile.

311 is one of the most incredibly talented yet eternally disrespected bands out there. Not hardcore enough, not reggae enough, not punk enough, not rap enough, not ska enough. Fact is, they can school most any band that strictly focuses on one style. P-nut never ceases to amaze me with his creativity. SA is a much better turn-tablist than he is a rapper, but he knows that scratching doesn't go with every song. He also has an uncanny flair for harmony. Nick is a strong frontman. I'd kill to play with a drummer with 1/2 the chops that Chad has, and Tim Mahoney is in the same class as Rush's Alex Lifeson in terms of versatility, skill, and lack of respect.
  7. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA

Agreed. 311 is an extremely talented band, but because their music doesn't fit into one specific genre, it gets no respect. It's one of the reasons I like them so much.
  8. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The best song by them, by far, is "Gap". It's a bootleg cut, but if you can find it, you'll be a happy person. BTW, I second "All Mixed Up".