Question about '62 Fender Jazzbass Reissue !!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by j3b3r, May 16, 2005.

1. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000

I was offered to trade my MIA standard jazzbass for '62 jazzbass reissue.
    I have zero knowledge about vintage and reissue basses. Can anyone help me ??
    The serial number is V040504, The person who wants to trade said that this bass was made in 1997. Is there any other ways to know about the authenticity of this bass ?? :confused:

The color is White, has stripe from brdige pickup to bridge, no brdige cover only neck pickup cover, thumb rest, rosewood fingerboard, red tortoise shell pickups, and tweed hardcase.

Tommorrow He will show me the bass, I'll post the picture here :D
  2. toad

Jun 26, 2002
    If you're asking about $ value, it would depend on whether the reissue is MIA or MIJ. The MIA reissue will have a 7.25” radius on the fretboard and finished in nitro with a stacked knob configuration. I believe the MIJ 62 reissue has a VVT knob configuration.

Just based on dollar value, if it was an MIA 62 reissue, the reissue is worth more. If it's an MIJ reissue, your MIA standard is probably worth more. Post the pics when you get them, it'll be easier to tell.
  3. If it is made in Japan, they are constructed very well, I think as good as any MIA. They just aren't worth the money that the MIAs are. I have a 70's reissue PBass MIJ, and it plays like a dream. The "strip" you spoke of from the bridge pickup to the bridge is actually a thin strip of copper which acts as the ground wire, which is something Fender used to do back in the day. The Jaco Relic and signature basses have this style of ground wire.

If it is MIA, then trade!. haha Just my opinion.
    and if it is MIJ, make him give you some money, and Trade! hahaha

Reissues are sweet! You get all the vintage looks and can get the sound, without any of the problems from it being old and extensively played.
  4. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    Thx for the reply,

Sorry for the incomplete information, The bass is MIA.
    I'll take the pics tonight when he show me the bass :smug:
  5. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    The only real way to find out if the bass in question is authentic Fender is to pull the neck and look for the stamps and initials from the different inspectors. The serial number that you have sounds right. And yes the neck will be different.

I have a fretted Jaco Signature Jazz and it's one of the finest new Fender basses that I have. It is in essence a reissue with nicer wood. I compared it to a real deal '64 Jazz and it felt amazingly the same. And the tone was extremely comparable. Mine just wasn't broken in as much.
  6. I have a MIJ 62 reissue exactly the same as the one you describe, and its an excellent bass. - very cool looking too.
  7. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    Thx for the reply,

I just saw the bass yesterday, and it was in bad condition. It was made in 97 but the body has alot of dings and scratches. It's real but I dont thing I want to trade for my mint MIA Standard Jazzbass.
    Anyway thx for the concern.
    About the pics, When I saw the bass, I was not interested anymore so I didn't take the pics. :rolleyes:

Thx guys :D
  8. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Hahah, isn't that how those are supposed to be? :)
  9. I own a Fender MIA Jazz Bass, but once had the chance to play an MIA '62 Reissue Jazz. I really liked the 7.25" radius. It just felt more comfortable to me, but it may not be your cup of tea. I recommend playing it first (or at least another Jazz with the smaller radius) as it certainly feels different.