1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question about 62 precisions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Johntheson, Aug 18, 2012.

1. I've been a guitar player for 50 years as of this month. Due to arthritis setting in; I have had to all but retire the 6 stringers. I started taking up bass more seriously about 2 years ago, when I saw this coming on. The string spacing, ect. made it easier to play than a 6er. I first bought a Hofner CT, and then a Ric 4003, and now a 62RI Jazz bass. I really want a 62RI precision, and was wondering what your opinions were on the difference in the Jazz, and the Precision as far as the necks, and also the tones. I will be playing mostly Motown, and almost all 50's, 60's, and 70's music. I have gravitated towards the Jazz bass among all the ones I currently own, and am just wondering if there's enough difference in the J and the P to make it worth owning them both? Thanks in advance.
    John Sr.

2. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Yes

Nothing sounds exactly like a P.

But if you want to own one bass, a J is more versatile.

3. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I agree. If Motown is your gig, the Precision is the weapon of choice but keep the Jazz also. You can do just about anything with both!

4. The neck is pretty damn wide, with a nutwidth of 1,.75" (44.5mm), but is quite shallow (from top fretboard to back), so that's something that might take some time to get used to. also 7.25" radius and vintage frets, but since you have the '62 jazz already, you know how that feels like.

For the rest: do it: amazing basses! Slap some LaBella 0760M flatwounds on it, tuck a piece of foam underneath the bridgecover, and you're ready to roll!

5. Osprey

Osprey

Jun 20, 2005
    UK
    There are serious differences between them. With your arthritis issue you could find that the wider neck of the P suits you better. But that's just one thing, and you say you like the J you have so maybe it doesn't matter.

The real difference is the tone. I'm sure you know what round-wound or flat-wound strings can do. Well, the J pickups extend that range: from the Jamerson sound of a P with flats (wonderful) to the the variety of bright and growly you can get from a J with rounds. Beyond these, you well know that your amp settings make another set of variations. At one end of the range, there are sounds only a P can make and at the other sounds only a J can make.

In my experience the P suits a band and the J sits best with an singer-songwriter combo. But maybe that's just the bands and the combos I've worked with.

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Get a new Fender 70's P-Bass.
    Or a lakland Duck Dunn P-Bass.
    Both have P-Bass tone and smaller 1.5 Jazz width necks.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    There is a slight difference in the Jazz with the neck pickup on by itself and the Precision. But other than the single coil hum you might pick up and maybe some extra brightness, I don't think it adds up to much difference at all.

Also, this business about needing a certain bass to play a certain kind of music is absolute bunk. I have played Motown on a Precision, Jazz, custom with a neck-thru-body and active pickups, Beatle bass, Danelectro Longhorn, even a Steinberger copy I used to have...it literally does not matter what you use, and I agree with Jamerson...worrying about the gear misses the point.

That said, I think a Precision is an awesome bass to have, and so is a Jazz. Only you can make the call if keeping both is worth it to you, though.

8. crlujan

crlujan

Jul 26, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    I've got a Jazz and a Precision. And, yes, I need both. They both do different things. But they do their things perfectly.

9. Thank you all for the in depth responses. Someone mentioned amp settings in relation to bass tone. I think there-in lies some of my dis-satisfaction. I've been blessed enough to have bought a nice stable of guitars, and amps, down through the years, but the only bass amp I own currently is a B200H Acoustic head, and 1x15 matching cab. For my 6 stringers I 've got old black faced Showmans, and Bandmasters, as well as an old super lead Marshall stack, as well as many other smaller vintage amps, and I know how to set them up; but I can't seem to find a tone I like from any of my basses thru the Acoustic amp.

I bought the Sansamp Bass driver, and also just bought a new Zoom B3 that I don't think I'll ever use, as it's just not my thing. I like the BDDI much better than the B3. I was grasping at straws. I've got LaBella DTB flats on all my basses except the Ric, which has Chromes on it. I'm just looking for the stright forward Motown, and also some simple British Invasion type tones, but I can't seem to find them.

I was happy at first with my tone, but as I've gotten better at the bass, and settled in a bit; it seems I'm getting further away from where I want my tone. I still want the Precision bass to go along with what ever other changes I make though. All my children are now all gone from home, and I had almost stopped playing for a good while, and now I'm getting all excited about it again, and I've got wall to wall larger type amps, in places my wife doesn't want them any more, so I was hoping to achieve my desired tone without buying another amp.

I bought the cheaper Acoustic amp because I wasn't sure I could even play the bass without pain in my hands. Back in my day people were using Showman's to play bass thru, so I guess at lower levels I could use that also. Mine has the JBL D-130F, so I'll have to change the speaker to the D-140 if I stay with JBL.

Thanks for enduring the long post, but after working, and family, music is my life, and I'm anxious to get back into it thru bass playing. I have been reading here for over a year now, and I know you guys know the bass ropes, and I don't yet.
    John Sr.

10. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Your basses are fine and will work great for your gig.
    You'd be better off buying a better amp. Or try some bass cabs with the showmans.

11. If you got a Showman with the 2x15 cabinet, there shouldn't be any problem, but don't forget that the soul from stax & motown was recorded directly into the wall (tube compressor and 30W tube amplifier somewhere in the control room). Later they started using the Ampeg B15N. So maybe it's worth looking at that?

I use a setup like that: 1962P bass (teh originalz), thick flatwounds, piece of foam & B15, and that sounds like this.

But other amps are possible as well. I guess you all know the song "son of a preacherman" by Dusty Springfield. It's got an amazing, bouncy all over the place bassline. Well, sometimes it was recorded with a 1959 P-bass (virtually identical to a 62RI), in an old Fender Twin Reverb (yes, the guitar amp), with just one functional speaker, and an SM57 in front of that (source).

Duck Dunn during a 1967 Stax revue. 1959 Fender P-bass, thick LaBella flatwounds, into a Marshall JTM45 with 4x12 and 2x15 cabinet. Creamy sound

Midnight Movers (backing band from Wilson Pickett. 1964 Jazz Bass with flatwounds, Fender Dual Showman amps.

I've seen the Sam & Dave band playing on Selmer amps or a Vox "Superbeatle" amp (sixties Jazz Bass with flatwounds).

You can see, the possibilities are endless!

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I agree that your rig is thwarting you...more the cab than the head. I'd definitely throw something together with the Showman and a good 115 (meaning not a Fender cab...Fender bass cabs of the 60's and 70's sucked for volume). Unless your band is super loud, I think it should hang.