Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about 70's (or 70's RI's) 3-Bolt Fender Jazzes w/Micro Tilt...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bigbajo60, Oct 4, 2005.

1. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    I'd like to know how much "neck tilt" you guys prefer on your 3-Bolt Fender Jazz basses.

I have a '75 American Reissue that I've always kept "non tilted" ( :eyebrow: ), but I feel that I can benefit from adding some tilt. I think that this would be especially useful at the bridge, since as it stands, the saddles are set so low that I'm not getting much of a break angle on the strings.

For references' sake, imagine the G-string saddle sitting almost as low as it can go... the height adjustment screws sticking out way over the top of the saddle... can 'ya
    picture it? I knew that you could! That height setting barely puts me in the ballpark action-wise!

So... yeah... how much "micro-tilt" do you '70's (or '75 RI) Jazz owners prefer?

2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    It's not really a "setting" that you prefer. If you can't get your saddles low enough to provide you the action you want on your higher frets, the neck needs more "tilt." It works just like shimming a standard neck.