1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about a '62 RI Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nitrofix, May 15, 2011.

1. nitrofix

nitrofix Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    Hey Guys, been thinking about getting one of these most likely a MIJ or CIJ, my question is why do some have 2 stacked knobs and some have 3 knobs, are all Japan RI's 3 knobs and only the MIA have stacked knobs,,,And what do you guys think of the quailty of the CIJ '62 RI Jazz's...Thanks

2. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    The stack knobs are only on the US version.. There are different versions of both MIJ and CIJ.. There is the JB62 with basswood body and MIJ pups or the JB62 US with Alder body and US pups.. going back to the early 90's the body woods are a little confusing.. Very good basses...

I have an 89/90 MIJ 62 RI in Surf Green on the way.. cant wait..

3. nitrofix

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    Thanks and congrats on your Jazz....

4. Get one of the better ones with the US pickups, alder body and spiral bridge saddles. Fantastic instruments. I have a MIJ P and did have a CIJ Jazz.

5. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    The other thing to watch out for is the Japanese '62 RI do not have the reverse vintage style tuners. They use the 70's type tuners. For some reason the only Japanese '62 RI that has those reverse tuners (which they use the Gotoh ones) is the fretless model. FYI, the fretless is also a 3-knob version....I owned one, really nice bass. But the Japanese Fenders tend to have really thick finishes on them!

6. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    I have a USA 62RI and it's a great bass. It's hands down the best Fender I have ever owned. The only thing I don't like about it is the finish. It stains easy. Ive never had that happen before. so, if you get one make sure you wipe it down regular like.

7. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    +1

8. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    try to get a used AVRI 62. another cheap alternative would be a used MIM classic 60's series jazz bass

9. nitrofix

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    Thanks for all the info guys, the thing is I don't have the funds for a US '62..So is there 2 versions of the Japanese '62 RI, one being the JB62 and one not ? and are the MIJ and CIJ basically the same thing as far as quality and models?, There are a couple for sale here on TB now Sunburst and a Red one and trying to get the funds together for one of them....

10. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    if i were you, I would opt for the roadworn jazz bass. Dont let the made in mexico fool you. I think they are far more superior than the japanese fenders.

11. I've heard this before. I wonder why this is? They're made in the same factory as the MIM basses, by the same people. You sure the nitro finish and relicing aren't deceiving everyone into thinking there is a big difference?

12. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    well I've owned an AVRI 62, 2 roadworns, 3 japanese 62 reissues, 2 classic series 60's jazz basses. Just from my personal experience.
    Of course the AVRI felt top notch but the roadworns were very very resonant and the bodies were very lightweight. I think it does have a lot to do with the thin coat of nitro the roadworn has.

13. IME, nitro does not sound any different from poly. And this is coming from someone who despises poly.

There may be a bit more attention given to construction on the Road Worns. But the biggest difference is probably cosmetic.

14. he owned all of them. theres no speculation in opinion rather than the "biggest difference is probably cosmetic".

ime the road worns are lighter, more resonant, more solid feeling instruments then the rest of mim lineup.

15. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    it has nothing to do with cosmetics. I can close my eyes and play all the fenders I have and know which one is the roadworn by the resonance of the instrument. I dont know what it is with the roadworns. Maybe the guy picking the woods for the roadworn series is a picky person?? who knows. Im just speaking from my own experience.
    This is comparing both the roadworns Ive owned to my all original 83 fullerton 62' reissue. I think the fullerton is even more worn out than the roadworn but it doesnt produce the resonance the rw has. Great bass and solid construction for something thats almsot 30 years old but I sold it as soon as I bought my roadworn.

16. I just bought an E ('84-'87) serial MIJ '62RI, it sat under the original owners bed for the last 25 years. It came with a black hard shell case and the original warranty card. I also have an '06 Diamond Anniversary MIA P-bass. After I adjusted the truss rod and got the action right on that Jazz it feels so right, I am going to try to get a '70's block inlay MIJ neck for the P. Besides for the fact that I am a jazz neck guy, the MIJ is every bit as good as the MIA, it is now my main player. I got rid of my MIM jazz because it couldn't standup, but this MIJ is the bees knees! Cheers.

17. Glad you like them. They are indeed a great value. However, I can assure you the conveyer-belt assembly process at the Mexico factory does not allow for a body wood "resonance check". It's the same wood as the other MIM basses.

They are probably just treated better during the final hands-on stages. They are built better. This impacts tone far more than wood ever will.

Oh no - I mentioned "wood" and "tone" again.

:bag:

18. :help:

how exactly is the "conveyer-belt assembly process" allowing them to be built any better? the rocket science of bolting a neck onto a body somehow created a better sounding bass the other mexican fenders?

im lovin' all the probably;)

19. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    lol yea its a pretty intense subject on these boards for some reason...Im not a fender guy. I tried my best to love them but in the end I like the fancy woods and active pre's!

Im pretty sure the roadworns use the exact same cut of wood as the other mim basses like the classic series if not the rest. But you do have to admit if you ever played one that they are far more resonant the others. Like I said, Im not 100% sure but maybe it is because of the thin layer of paint on it as opposed to the usual 3-5mm of poly thats layered on the other mim basses. Not a sermon just a thought!

20. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    well being "built better"....I think the thin nitro coat can fall into that classification, no?