1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question about a Fender P bass model?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockdoc11, Jul 24, 2012.

1. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    I came across a Fender Precision bass today that I was unable to identify.

I hoped one of you Fender bass experts might be able to help me.

1. The headstock simply said "Fender" (in gold script) and then "Precision Bass" in black block lettering. There was no "Made in . . ." note anywhere on the headstock (or anywhere else), nor any kind of serial number or any other information on the headstock.

2. The tuners said "Licensed by Schaller."

3. The fretboard was rosewood, and the body color was a nice deep red.

4. The neck plate said "Fender Corona CA."

5. The body was string-through with ferrules. It looked like a typical P bass bridge.

6. The pickup was a "Basslines" model.

7. It had the usual Volume and Tone knobs, and the usual output jack.

Anyone know what model this might have been? The price was attractive (about $300).

Thanks!

2. FunkRenegade

FunkRenegade

Jul 7, 2012
    Sounds fishy. Only am std has string thru body and corona neck plate, but everything else is off.

3. maybe its an american standard with an aftermarket neck and upgraded pickups? But something like that wouldn't cost $300

4. Parts bass?

5. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Yeah, Fishy.
    Anyone can build a parts bass, put a Fender decal on the headstock and buy a Corona neck plate.
    The fact that it has no ser # anywhere makes me suspicious

6. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    Do you remember the location of the truss rod adjustment? may narrow it down, but with those combinations nothing comes to mind right away.

7. Stormer

Stormer

Jul 24, 2012
    If it looks too good to be true........

8. There were many Fender basses with that decal on the face of the headstock but they had "Made in" decals on the back along with a serial number.

My best guess:

1. It is a parts bass with a MIM neck where someone removed "Made in Mexico"

2. Or... it could be a MIM with the strung thru and neck plate added along with the "Made in Mexico" decal removed.

3. Or... it could be a Genuine Fender replacement neck. I'm pretty sure they did not have serial numbers but not sure if they had a "Made in" decals.

I'll put my money on # 2.

Rocky

9. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    My 62 P reissue had nothing on the back of the headstock. Just Fender and Precision on the front.

10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    "Licensed by Schaller." tuners came on MIM necks.
    "Basslines" are Seymour Duncan pickups.

I say it's a parts bass.

11. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Fender "Genuine Replacement" necks have a "Genuine Replacement" stamp on the back of the headstock.

12. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    +1

However, a parts bass is not necessarily a bad thing. My #1 is a parts bass, and it's better sounding than any P I've owned (including all-orig '68, '62AVRI, and CIJ '57RI). If you like the way it feels and sounds, it might very well be worth $300.

13. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    My guess is that the conclusion that it's a parts bass is correct.

This discussion has made me want to go check it out further for more details.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks, all.