question about a guitar - SG Classic

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Okay, I played on at a music shop the other day, and I loved everything about it except two things:

a) The bridge (I'm used to the Fender types, but I can get over that)

b) The treble pickup seemed really weak. With both pickups on and the rhythm pickup soloed, it sounded great, but with the bridge pick up soloed, it sounded bad. I was wondering if all SG Classics had this problem or if this one was a fluke.

Also, tell me about your experiences and opinions of this guitar.

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I haven't played what Gibson is calling the SG Classic (I have owned a few Les Pauls and SGs over the years), but the difference in sound between the pickups you are describing sounds typical of a Gibson solid body guitar with stock pickups.
    First, the treble pickup is voiced to accentuate the highs, so it doesn't seem as loud and full as the rhythm pickup (but does help cut through the mix). Also, the location of the pickup (near the bridge) enhances this trait further.
    Generally, what most Gibson players do is, adjust the height of both pickups to help even out the output, just roll off the volume of the rhythm pickup a little, or replace the stock treble pickup with a "hotter" one.
  3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    This being a *bass* forum, you might get more responses if you posted this question in a *guitar* forum, like Harmony Central. True, there are a few of us who double on guitar, but not that many, whereas H-C has more 6-string spankers than you can shake a plectrum at.
  4. Yeah, I already did that... after I posted this thread. I guess I should've realized it earlier.
  5. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    ahhhh drool, SG mmmmm. I got one, not a classic, but its a vintage off white SG, very nice. Yea the pickup problem can be solved by adjusting the pickups, or volumes, or changing pickups. The bridge thing takes some getting used to, but in the end i like it ALOT better. Much easier to do palm mutes from where it is. I think thats the kinda thing u either get used to or not, but youll have to try it out. For sure a sweet guitar not matter what, the other stuff is up to u.
  6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    No biggie, hombre. Just trying to help you get a greater quantity of useful input. You could also try some of the newsgroups, like alt.guitar.
  7. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    the SG classic is a real nice sounding guitar to my ears. i am a strat player but if in the future i'll be able to add another guitar that model will be one i'll consider. i love P90!