1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about a Kustom Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aaronwhite1786, Apr 29, 2010.

1. aaronwhite1786

aaronwhite1786

Nov 19, 2009
    So, a friend of mine is willing to sell me his old Kustom Amp that he got through trading a 3/4 full case of Natty Light to an old friend who just didn't want to move it (I wish i had gotten in on that deal...).
    Anyway, he said he would sell it for 175.
    I feel like that's definitely a good price, but i figured it wouldn't hurt to ask on here and see what you all thought.
    I can't find much info on it online.
    kust002.
    I want to say it's the head unit of the one on the bottom left (red) with the cabinet of the one to it's immediate right.
    Anyway, just let me know what you all think.
    I guess the most important thing is that it sound great, and I like it.
    Now i just need to make sure i buy it before his other friend starts asking about it.

2. Buy it. Love it. Old Kustoms are awesome.

Here's my 70's Kustom200 and Ampeg B25-B 2x15 that's gotten me through years of extensive touring.

b25busted.

GET IT! $175 for the head and cab is a great deal! I spent $150 on the head alone in '01 as a replacement for a stoln Sunn Colliseum.

3. aaronwhite1786

aaronwhite1786

Nov 19, 2009
    I think i may have to jump on it.
    I've played around with it a bit, it sounds great, and it can get loud.
    Thanks for the quick reply!

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    [FONT=&quot]It really depends upon if you love the sound. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I had a black Custom T&R 3x15 along with a blue sparkle “200” head. It was great for sounding like a DC-10 landing, a sort of snarling mid forward distorted sound. But I couldn’t ever get anything clean out of it. I had it ‘cleaned’ at a local amp place, and they said the head ‘benched’ clean to 37w and after that it was all breakup. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]For the record, I sold mine back about 1994 for $150 for the cab, $200 for the head.[/FONT]

5. EricJ

EricJ

Feb 28, 2008
    I had 2 of the 2x15 CTS cabs and the 200w head in 1970 or so. Seems like it was 200W peak and really rated 100W, but am not sure about that. OTOH, there was enough punch to generate a serious breeze through those chrome ports. Blue sparkle, which was well known to be the best sounding color. If they weren't so big, I'd like one just for decoration!

6. Also the tuck-n-roll is super plush... i've used the head as a pillow a few times on the road... :smug:

7. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Corret - the Kustom 200's did 100w clean or so with two cabinets, and 85w give or take with one.

The Kustom 100 Did ABOUT 50w clean - back when alot of transistor amp makers sold them with PEAK numbers :p

If the head works, buy that! :)