Question about a MIM Jazz 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Hey guys.

I have a question. I was sitting at my desk thinking "I have a MIM Jazz 5 with burst finish. I havent played it in almost a year. Its time to move it along".. I dont even remember how much I bought it for. Its in perfect condition except for a minor scratch on the side of it.

If I took it to my local GC, how much do you guys think I can get on trade in towards something else?? Like I said, I dont even remember how much I paid for it but I know the burst was an extra priced option.

Any help??
  2. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    no, gc as a corporation is an a$$hole. if GC was an icecream flavor, it'd be pralines and dick. i tried to sell a fender practice amp NEW STILL IN THE BOX (i sent mine back for some warantee work, they sent me a whole new one but im not such a fan) they offered me 25 dollars.

long story short, i just kept it, turns out my first one was a lemon. dude, ebay is the way to go, or become a contributing member and sell it here, depending on what u want for it, people will literally jump at it. infact...what year is it?
  3. bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I'd say take it to some local bass specialty shops in the area if you can find them and get their appraisal on it. Do you happen to have any pics?
  4. yeah, let me see if I can find/upload some..
  5. Well, stupid me, I've misplaced my digital camera and cant find it!! I might just go out there and see what they'll give.. I have the MIM5 and an SWR Workingmans 10 with 10 Extension I would want to trade in.. They have a could used Beneventes I've had my eye on for a while..
  6. Not sure how to date it.. I bought it when they first started making the MIM 5 Jazzes (which wasnt TOO long ago if I remember right). 5 or so years ago maybe?
  7. Its a great bass but unfortunatly I dont play it enough to justify keeping it anymore. I have 5 other basses that I play more often...
  8. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    GC will offer you 1/2 of their wholesale cost on a new piece. IIRC, that bass retailed for around 600 or so...their cost is usually discounted 50%+15%+10% from Fender, so.....if their cost was around 230 or so, you'll get 115 bucks. Great deal, huh? :meh: But, it's THEIR business, and you can choose to patronize it if you choose. If you put it up on Bassgear, or here (if you're a contributing member), you should be able to get 300-350. You should do even better with the Workingman amp/cab.
    Go visit GC...see if I'm wrong. ;) If they offer you more than that, I'd be surprised.
  9. I believe you.. I was just hoping they would give me a bit more leverage if I bought something with that money in the store. They way I look at it, they'll be able to push out a $300 used Fender 5 rather than a Benavente. The two Benaventes they have in there they have had for a LONG time..
  10. MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    Dude... I know this sounds like a sweet trade, but I have a cool Fender MIM fretless Jazz, nothing wrong with it either aside from a ding on the top, but I was looking to move on to a 5. Just throwing it up there dude. :p
  11. Thanks for the offer :) But, I'll buy another SX before I take up a MIM again..Great basses but want to get away from them... Just personal preference.
  12. MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    lol aight. :spit:
  13. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Jacochops' estimate seems pretty accurate based on what I've seen recently. I also have a candy apple red 5 string MIM Jazz Deluxe I expect to sell soon and I've been watching prices on eBay for a few months. The usual range I've seen is around $300-$325, maybe a little more if it's in really nice shape or a little more if you include a hard case instead of just the gig bag that came with it.