Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about a power/preamp setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by James reeve5, Feb 18, 2003.

1. I was wondering if I could hook up a aguilar db 680 to a qsc rmx 850, and run it into a Ampeg BXT-410HL cab. The qsc is only 600 watts at 4 ohms, and the dealer i am buying from has offered me an Eden wt 1000 power amp and an aguilar db 680 for 2099$.

Should I just go for the aguilar?

Or the eden wt 1000 and aguilar?

Does a power amp really affect the sound?

2. power amp does effect the sound is pretty much all I can offer. I had a Crown micro tech 1200 and now I have a carver pm1400 and the sound is drasically different

3. jiji87

jiji87

Feb 18, 2003
    what does a power amp and preamp actually do?
    Ive seen heads that have a power amp in and a pre amp out, but what does it really do

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    If you plug your bass directly into a power amp, you'll get very very little volume if anything at all. The voltage put out by a bass guitar is very small and is therefore too weak for the poweramp to do anything with.

The pre amp's job is to boost the voltage of the input signal so the power amp can amplify it properly.

a bass head has a pre-amp and a power amp all in one unit. If you want to use the pre-amp section only and run it to a different power amp, that's where these connections come into play.

5. The QSC is 850 watts at 4 ohms. And it's all your every gonna need with that cab.

6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I see no real benefit from getting the Eden WT.
    I have not seen a power amp really have an impact on the sound though it may. The intent is purely to amplify the signal. The only difference you should encounter is how/when the amp clips.

A solid state PA doesn't provide any overdrive so you should get a pure transfer of the tone pushed by your pre.

I wanted consistency and power so I went with a QSC RMX-2450. If I grow out of the tone I'm getting for my Ampeg SVP-PRO, I can swap out pre amps.

SO about the Aggie, that's a pretty expensive pre.

$2099 is very steep IMO for a rack system. Mine totaled about $1,100 and I've got more than DOUBLE the power that dealer is offering you for nearly DOUBLE the price. Had I gone with a more high-end pre (like a Demeter VTBP/HBP-1 or Kern IP-777), I might have spent $1,500 on my whole system if I bought it new, those go for around $800-ish. I can't see spending $1,600 for an Aggie pre amp alone.

In the end, you'd better be very happy with that set up. Once you realize you over-paid big time, I hope you don't question the value.

7. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    If you're going to spend that kind of money get the Aguilar DB750 bass head. Everything is built into one unit and I promise you it sounds great!! 10 year warranty too!!

It can get really frustrating when you start getting into trying different power amp and preamp combinations. The preamp will probably work fine with the QSC(I assume you already own this), but I prefer the all-in-one bass head. The DB750 is an AWESOME bass head if you want to go the Aguilar route. There's a lot of other good bass heads out there too that weigh less(think about what you have to lug around) and cost less.

8. arose11

arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    dude a ten yr warranty...
    thats pretty sweet

9. I now have a better idea of what i am going to do...thanks everyone

and in regards to that guy talking about how his $1100 dollar setup has twice the wattage...who cares...unless you are playing seriously large venues, or are into death metal, 600 watts will cover anybody...I am going for tone.

10. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    For my tone search the DB680 was the one! plus you can get one for under 1k used.

as for the poweramp thing, there's two routes i've tried - the pro audio poweramp that pretty much gives you what you put into it, or the DB728 I have now (used of course) that makes the 680 even warmer & fatter.

11. rdkill

rdkill

Jan 20, 2003
    I chose an RMX850 as being the least expensive amp that is uncolored, has a clip limiter, and subsonic filters. I have heard that running bridged into 4 ohms (for 850 watts) it will shut down if driven too hard against the limiters. The limiters keep it from distorting and warning you that you are pushing too hard! I plan on not bridging it, but running only one channel for 300 watts into 4 ohms most times and using the other channel into a second 4 ohm load when needed. The difference in volume between 850 watts and 600 is pretty small and the amp will be MUCH happier! The fan is a bit loud for living room volume use but not worse than a PC. Just so we have something to argue about, I'll say that an amp with clip limiting enabled sounds twice as loud as one without when both are run "clean". And a subsonic set at 20hz (or even 50hz if you're running tens) gets the mud out and gets you louder still. I've held my own against a couple marshall half stacks running just 150 watts with a hard limiter into a single peavey 1x18" 4ohm Black Widow. (very colored speaker but real loud! - needs a good EQ).