1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)
  2. Because Photobucket has chosen to in effect "take down" everyone's photos (unless you pay them), we have extended post edit time in the Luthier's Corner to UNLIMITED.  If you used photobucket and happen to still have your images of builds, you can go back and fix as many of your posts as far back as you wish.

Note that TalkBass will host unlimited attachments for you, all the time, for free ;)  Just hit that "Upload a File" button.  You are also free to use our Media Gallery if you want a place to create albums, organize photos, etc :)

Question about a purpleheart top

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Davo737, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I have a bass with a purpleheart top that has been refinished with a tung oil finish. I had tried to apply a coat of wax, but found that tiny drops of wax got into the pores of the wood that I couldn't get out. I had tried to use heat to cause the wax to melt and bubble up, but it didn't seem to work. The only remedy I could find was to sand the body and start from scratch. Is there any particular method of waxing to prevent this for open pored woods; or, is there any sort of clear pore filler that would even out the surface? Thank you for your help.

Regards,
    Davo