Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about a replacement speaker for an Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thundercats, Dec 8, 2004.

1. thundercats

thundercats

Dec 8, 2004
    I just recently got ripped off and bought a 25 year old Ampeg B2 bass combo amp. When I got home I plugged it in all excited to play it. Little did I know that the speaker was blown. I definetly paid 500 dollars for this amp which was a rip off to begin with but now I have to turn around and buy a new speaker for it which costs God knows how much. Anyways it has a 15" speaker in it. What are some really good speakers that I could put in there to replace the blown one and where could I buy them at for the lowest price?
    Thank you so much
    -LJ

2. thundercats

thundercats

Dec 8, 2004
  3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

recently read a post by someone stating factually that Ampeg uses Eminence speakers. Seems I'd read in the past they made their own but Eminence makes practically all of the American amp/cab speakers so it would be no suprise. If your current Ampeg has a 67 speaker code, it's an Eminence. OEM speakers can only be purchased from the original company, not from Eminence. Eminence has their own site that lists the parameters of the speaker and the enclosure it should be used in - both are important. If the amp does have an Eminence in it, I'd definetly contact Eminence and ask them what they would recommend as a replacement for that amp. Speakers through Ampeg would not be cheap. You may lose a lot of the intended tone of the amp with non-replacement speaker.

If you bought that amp from a private individual locally, you might give some thought to small claims court. A retailer should take it back and be even more responsive to small claims court.

4. thundercats

thundercats

Dec 8, 2004
    well the person didnt know it was a blown speaker but could i take it to a small claims court?
    the practically didnt knwo anything about the amp.
    could i get at least some of my money back from a small claims court?

5. Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

Dec 8, 2004
    I would try talking it out with the person you bought it from first, but if they won't do anything about it a court date is definately in order. Anything over $20 is cool for small claims court.

6. thundercats

thundercats

Dec 8, 2004
    my mom is like that is bad business you arent allowed to talk to them. i was like i just want some of my money back. she said once you pay for it its a done deal you should of done your research. so you say i could take them to court if they dont give me some money back?

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I'd at least look into it. It's possible mention of it may intice the seller to refund your money. Doubt it but but don't know and you won't either unless you give it a whirl. What have you got to loose.

Small claims court filing would cost around $75 and you may get it back if the judge awards it. It's not a quick process - would probably be months before it was on the docket. Every area is different. Regardless, it won't eat up much of your time. But it's an option and a lawyer isn't - unless you have an attorney in the family or friend of the family. I would definetly pick his/her brain if so.

If the guy led you to believe it was in good working order and you can prove that - via statement on reciept or someone with you at the time who can attest to as much. Not familiar with that particular amp but it sounds like it's priced for a quality combo in good working condition - $500 is a lot for a combo. I find it hard to believe you'd shell that out with no gaurantee. If he made no gaurantee or you have no proof he did, you're probably SOL.

8. thundercats

thundercats

Dec 8, 2004
    it just makes me really mad becaue i got screwed
    im going to put a new speaker in it
    think i could get 500 outta it?
    if i throw in a compressor pedal and two sets of chrom d'addario strings?

9. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    If that's an Eminence speaker, you could get it reconed for less than a new one. Roughly $75. Then you'd at least have the speaker the amp is designed for - and that is major. Dropping something in that doesn't belong can get wierd a lot easier than better. And you'd need to be up front about that in selling it which will undoubtedly reduce it's value and desireability.

If you live near a major city, you should have no problem finding a reputable speaker repair. If it's a factory Ampeg not made by Eminence, you probably won't be able to get a replacement kit from anyone but Ampeg. The speaker repair should know.

10. My condolences, $500 seems high for most any used combo, let alone one with a bum speaker.

Forget the small claims court, the hassle isn't worth it.

Instead, send the speaker out to Weber for reconing for $60 plus shipping. You'll have the correct speaker for the combo then.

http://www.webervst.com

11. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

agree with Nashville, Weber's a reputeable outfit. It will cost you roughly $30 roundtrip for shipping tho, depending on your locale.

It's always a plus to have good rapport with a local luthier, amp/electronics repair, and speaker repair guy. A wealth of tapable info in those brain cells that will save you some grief and dinero - not to mention nice guys to have around when a fix is in order. You have the need and opportunity to tap that now. But Weber has a good rep - which is more than you may know about the local spreaker repair.

12. thundercats

thundercats

Dec 8, 2004
    thanks guys for everything