Question about a Schroeder

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DeepCalls2Deep, Jun 28, 2005.

1. DeepCalls2Deep

Jun 25, 2005
    East Texas
    I was just wondering ....

What type of power/pre set up or head are you guys running with your Schroeder?

I searched the "mega thread" and saw lots of varying answers.

I am looking at getting a 1210, and I was wondering if my SWR workingman's 4004 would be enough to get a good sound from it. I read they open up easily, but is the 400watts at 4ohms going to cut it? or cut through?

What are you guys using? how many watts, what is the db, ect.

Thanks for any and all info!
  2. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    400 watts is a good bit for most any setup. My 1210 should be here tomorrow so I'll be able to test it with my hartke 3500 before I sell it(already have a bmax, waiting to sell my 3500 and 2x10 for a good poweramp).

When I e-mail Jorg I told him I was currently using my 3500 (350w @ 4 ohms) and he said he had used the 3500 as one of his testing devices since it's a common head. He told me I would have no problems at all using it.

Your 4004 should be plenty to fit the bill by it's specs, I've never played one myself though.
  3. bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Used a 1600 watt QSC plx and a Alembic F1-X over the weekend, Got a pretty full / Fat sound. :)
  4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Schroeders are real efficient cabs. While they are rated for, and will take a lot of power, they don't necessarily need it.
    My 410 is rated at 1600(?) watts, but my 1966 blackfaced Fender Bassman sounds *killer* thru it, and it's like a real strong 40 watts;)
    I'm not saying your gonna go play stadiums with 40 watts and a schroeder, but your 400 watt swr *will* sound great thru a 1210.
  5. im using a Read Transcendance into a crest CA6, bridged, which puts out i think 1500 watts.... its way more than i ever need and im usually only using 300 or 400 of those watts when i play, and i still get a great sound. you should have plenty of room to open up with 400 watts
  6. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    Right now I'm using the BBE BMax-T through a Crown XLS-402 into the Schroeder 21012. More than enough power. I'll be getting a QSC PLX1202 shortly and using it. About the same power as the Crown but the QSC will fit into one of Jorg's new rack cases and I really want one of those. Your SWR should have plenty of power for a Schroeder.
  7. rabass6

rabass6 Commercial User

Jun 3, 2004
    Acoustic Image Focus I, 600W @ 4 ohm, more than enaugh for my needs, and the combo with my 1210 sounds awesome...
  8. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My 1210 arrived today. I'm running a BBE BMax> QSC RMX 850 (bridged mono 4ohm 830 watts). So far I've only used it in my living room, but it's really friggin loud! I have to turn the 850's gain knob farther before it reaches the same volume my Ampeg 410 gets, but thats because the Ampeg was rated at 400 watts and the Schroeder is 850ish.
  9. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    The "wattage" on the cabinet doesn't mean anything about volume or loudness; it's how much the voice coils can handle without overheating.

It's interesting to hear that an Ampeg 4x10 (care to share which model?) was/is louder than a Schroeder 1210.
  10. I have no problem cutting through with a GK700Rb and a 1210 so you shouldn't have any problem with the 4004.
  11. Basssy

Apr 5, 2000
    Houston, TX
    i'm using an Ampeg SVP-CL with a QSC-PLX1602. I have not had the mods available for both units to up their output done yet, so technically I am operating at "low power" but with the master on the Ampeg full-on, the pregain at about 2oclock and the QSC up to about 11oclock bridged, my 1212 cab still blows aways our VERY loud drummer
  12. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    BSE410HLF. it might just have been my imagination. i will have to do an A/B to see if the initial impression is right.

i jammed with a friend this evening and the 1210 did not disappoint, volume or tone wise.
  13. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I am not surprised that a 410 is louder than a 1210. More drivers, more cone surface area, etc. What is impressive to me, is that a 1210 is competing volume wise with a 410.
  14. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    You'l be fine I say. Hows this, Jorg knows I have Trace V8. So what does he do? Tests it out with a V-Type :p AND gets my e-mail back within 15 minutes.

That's customer service. E-Mail him if you have any questions, he's a great guy to talk to :)
  15. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The 1210 is giving the 410 a run for its money! I just remembered that I lowered the volume on my preamp to half of what it was before. If I had kept my old settings it would be even louder.
  16. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I used previously my 1210 with an SVT-III Pro, and while I was running it about 75+%, I had a great, fat sound. Lots of compliments, with my favorite being "Man, you should turn that thing down! I could feel it rocking my b@lls all the way in the back of the club!" (and that's w/out going thru the PA at all)... ;)
  17. nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    I have recently used my 1210 with Eden WT-300 on couple of outdoor gigs (with PA). NO problem cutting on stage, have been told to turn down. And thats eight piece band with horns, etc. Guitarist on opposite side of stage told me he could hear me VERY well but he could not hear his cranked Ampeg combo next to him... :D
  18. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I play mine through a Read Purity/PLX 2402, and it's fantastic. Plenty of lows, and sweet, sweet mids. Way more volume than I would ever need.
  19. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Well, there are two main reasons that I was surprised at that.

1) Ampeg cabs are known to be ineffecient.
    2) Jorg designed his small boxes to compete with 4x10 cabs
    And after the fact that he said it was a BSE cab,
    3) The BSE are Ampeg's "introductory" line

I was actually expecting, "I turned my x volume down and forgot about it."
  20. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    Eden WT550 and 1210, gain @ 1:00, master @ 11:00 with a Sadowsky MS4 and it cut through the mix like a knife.