1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question about a Stingray hum....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by baddarryl, Mar 26, 2013.

1. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Hi all. I demoed a new Stingray 5 in a store today with the 3 band and single pickup with a 3 way switch. While I absolutely LOVED that bass the thing had a fairly significant hum with the switch in the middle position. Like a jazz bass hum but worse. It would increase if I boosted the pre amp settings. Switched to the front or rear and it was silent. Is this normal?

Also how does this sound differ to the 2 band? I hear a lot of people like those.

2. What age was it? The latest Ray 5 H basses do not have a single coil option, so I doubt it was 2008- onwards.

Even if you do get a Musicman with a single coil switch, like the Sterling 5 H, HS, or Stingray 5 HS, there should be zero hum.

3. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    New on the rack.

4. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I'm fairly certain that even the older SR5s that have the single coil option also combine it with a dummy coil so there shouldn't be any hum.

5. Plus one.

If its a 2008-, it won't even have the single coil option now unfortunately.