Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question About a Tube Works Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HiFi, Mar 30, 2005.

1. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    I just got a Tube Works 100 W MosValve combo amp. It's a kickin' little amp, although I'm not sure I'm going to keep it because I don't really need it.

What I was wondering is if anyone can tell me the quality of these amps, if they've ever owned one and what they thought, and maybe also what I might expect to sell such an amp for (if I decide not to keep it).

Some more information for ID purposes:
    Input and Headphone outs
    Volume/Hi/Mid/Lo controls

It also appears that the head can be separated from the cabinet, which is a nice option to have.

Any help is appreciated.

2. I've always thought of Genz Benz as producing really good products that never quite develop the cachet of other makers. As a result, I think you get a lot of bang for your buck.

3. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Year of manufacture is 1996 if that makes any difference.

4. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I don't know which amp specifically you have, but the owners manuals are avilable here.

http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=manuals

Maybe that'll help you identify it...

FWIW I am currently using a TubeWorks model 3300 rackmount head with a matching 4x10 cab, It's a tube pre/MosFet power hybrid of early-mid 90's manufacture.

I no trouble getting "my" tone from it. It's got some nice routing options, and has held up like a champ for about 10+ years of fairly solid club gigs... my only beef might be that it's a little under powered for larger rooms....

I have another head on order (from LowDownSound, thanks again guys) and even if the new head turns out to be the "Holy Tone Grail". I don't think I'd sell my 3300...

TubeWorks stuff doesn't seem to go for much on E-bay. (last model 3300 I saw went for $275-ish, a steal, IMHO)

SM

5. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Thanks SubMonkey...I'll have a look.