1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about action on a Carvin bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ballstix, Oct 15, 2009.

1. ballstix

ballstix

Oct 14, 2009
    I'm looking at a Carvin LB76 on craigslist. Just went to the guy's house and tried it out; the bass itself is very nice, but the action is way too high for me. The bridge is about as low as it can get, so I'm thinking that it's all due to tension / truss rod (the neck did seem kinda concave). My question is, since there's no way to return it, how likely is it that I'll be able to get the action low? I don't mind some fret buzzing as long as it doesn't come through the amp. I have no problem taking it to get professionally set-up. I'm comparing it to the action of a new Ibanez SR506.

Thanks!

2. Carvin makes great instruments. So unless theres a problem with the neck then there should be no problem getting a nice low action on it.

3. ballstix

ballstix

Oct 14, 2009
    The tension already seemed pretty high, which concerns me I guess. It was 45-100 gauge for the middle four. Bending the truss rod back will create more tension won't it?

4. more tension on the neck,you will end up loosening the strings.

5. The truss rod will straighten the neck. The tension on the strings is a function of tuning. A Carvin bass is capable of very low action with excellent playability. If the neck is really bowed, loosen the strings, tighten the rod 1/8 turn, tune the bass, and let it sit for 12 hours. Repeat as needed until the neck is adjusted to the way you like it. The wood takes time to move so if you over-adjust the rod to the action you like all at once you will find that the neck will be out of whack after a day or so.

I have owned a Carvin fretless since 1992 and I only need to give the truss rod 1/4 turn or so twice a year during the major New England season changes. My bass does not have the carbon reinforcement rods in the neck.

Rick B.