Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question About Active Electronics

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Embryodead, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Embryodead

Embryodead Banned

Nov 30, 2005
    Providence, RI
    I have an Ibanez SR-890 and while doing modifications i may have messed up the electronics, my question is, the pickups are fine can i use the pick ups as passive, i do not believe they are active pickups but i know the electronics are active since it requires a battery, so can i just remove the electronics for now and later put in say the Aguilar OB-3 ?

2. Embryodead

Embryodead Banned

Nov 30, 2005
    Providence, RI
    Also i should mention the pickups are Ibanez AFR-P and AFR-J

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I suppose it's possible but I've done everything wrong with active electronics imagineable and I've never damaged anything. There's just not enough current. So I'm guessing it's just a wiring or connection issue, not damage.

At any rate, not familiar with those pups but I've never seen any pups that are active that don't have 3 leads. One typically being red and often smaller gauge or obviously different appearing wire that ties in with the battery - although it may tie in with the preamp depending. You can just wire one of the pups straight to the jack and if you get a playable volume, it's not an active pup. The output will be barely audible, or at least won't be useable, if it is active.

I think the A in the designation stands for Active but I don't know for a fact. That may just be a sales gimmick. It's also possible in an active set that only one pup is active and the other passive. Bart does that.

If you have a meter, you can measure the DC resistance on the pups. Active will be about 2k and passive will likely be 7k or above. Spread will be considerable at any rate so clear cut.

Even if they are active, you can wire the pups to the battery and skip the preamp. Just make sure you connect the right lead to the battery clip. It's my understanding you could smoke the pup running a 9v to the windings.