Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about Active Jazz Bass Controls

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JebusChrist, Jun 20, 2005.

1. JebusChrist

JebusChrist

May 23, 2005
    NYC
    I just got a used 90's Fender Active Jazz Bass V, and im wondering about what the knobs on the control jack do. Ive owned a passive 4 string jazz bass, but these knobs are way different. there's 5 in total, with the first one controlling master volume (i think), then there is one stacked set and 3 other knobs. someone on here has to know what they do. ive tried messing with the bottom stacked one, and it acts as a gain or something, because if i turn it up high it adds a distortion :confused:
    here's a pic
    thanks in advance
    [​IMG]

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I'll take a stab... On my '96 Jazz V they are, (from closest to the neck to closest to input jack):

1. Master Volume
    2. Pickup Pan - Center Detent = evenly mixed
    3. Stacked:
    Bottom ==> Bass boost/cut - Detent = Flat
    Top ==> Treble boost/cut - Detent = Flat
    4. Mid boost/cut - Detent = Flat

I find a good setting to be Bass and Mids slightly boosted, Treble slightly cut, Pickups slightly favoring the neck pickup... With these mid '90s preamps, extreme settings seem to be a bit nasty on the ears...

Good luck!

-robert

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
  4. JebusChrist

JebusChrist

May 23, 2005
    NYC
    thanks both of you!

5. sounds like you might be new to active pre-amps. if so, don't forget to change the battery evrey now and then.

6. JebusChrist

JebusChrist

May 23, 2005
    NYC
    i knew a little about active pre amps, but i was expecting the controls to be like a traditonal jazz bass, just with two volume knobs instead of a blend knob
    and i changed the battery as soon as i got it