Question about Active Jazz Bass Controls

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JebusChrist, Jun 20, 2005.

1. JebusChrist

May 23, 2005
    I just got a used 90's Fender Active Jazz Bass V, and im wondering about what the knobs on the control jack do. Ive owned a passive 4 string jazz bass, but these knobs are way different. there's 5 in total, with the first one controlling master volume (i think), then there is one stacked set and 3 other knobs. someone on here has to know what they do. ive tried messing with the bottom stacked one, and it acts as a gain or something, because if i turn it up high it adds a distortion :confused:
    here's a pic
    thanks in advance
  2. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I'll take a stab... On my '96 Jazz V they are, (from closest to the neck to closest to input jack):

1. Master Volume
    2. Pickup Pan - Center Detent = evenly mixed
    3. Stacked:
    Bottom ==> Bass boost/cut - Detent = Flat
    Top ==> Treble boost/cut - Detent = Flat
    4. Mid boost/cut - Detent = Flat

I find a good setting to be Bass and Mids slightly boosted, Treble slightly cut, Pickups slightly favoring the neck pickup... With these mid '90s preamps, extreme settings seem to be a bit nasty on the ears...

Good luck!

3. JebusChrist

May 23, 2005
  4. sounds like you might be new to active pre-amps. if so, don't forget to change the battery evrey now and then.
  5. JebusChrist

May 23, 2005
    i knew a little about active pre amps, but i was expecting the controls to be like a traditonal jazz bass, just with two volume knobs instead of a blend knob
    and i changed the battery as soon as i got it