Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about Active Passive plug in

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by In Flames, Mar 31, 2004.

1. In Flames

In Flames

Dec 11, 2003
    Ohio
    Dumb question i'm assuming but... If a bass had passive pickups but a active pre amp... Should I play in the Passive plug in or the Active plug in?

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It's still active, so I'd try that one first.

The only difference between the two inputs is that the "Active" one is padded for the "higher output" of an active bass. That's great in theory but some active basses have a signal that isn't at all stronger than a passive. Exeriment a bit and use which ever one works best.

3. In Flames

In Flames

Dec 11, 2003
    Ohio
    Oh okay, I just wanted to make sure I wouldnt damage anything. I've been playing it in the passive input. However I was wondering if I could play it on the Active but before I did that I wanted to clarify it was okay to do

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yeah go for it. You'll have to adjust your input gain upwards but don't let that panic you. As always, keep an eye on the clip lights and use your gain knobs to control this. The occasional flicker is OK but you don't want to clip if you can avoid it.