Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about active preamps and potentiometers

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jive1, Dec 12, 2004.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I'm looking for pots that would work with a couple of preamps I own. The issue I'm having a hard time finding things like stacked concentric 50k pots, or 50k pots with a push pull switch. What would happen if I were to use 250K pots instead of the recommended 50k or 25k?

Thanks in advance

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Your bass will explode and you will turn into Hellen Keller..

But, on a serious note, I'd like to find out as well.

3. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    The sound will be painfully bright and the pots won't have the taper the preamp designer intended.

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    hmm....

are these for an Aggie? they use 50k pots....

:)

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    With an active preamp you need to contect the manufacturer. Unless you have a copy of the schematic, there is no way to predict how your preamp will behave with different pot values.

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, like Bob said, difficult to predict.
    Aguilar sell 50k single / concentric pots on their website store, btw.
    50K with push/pull is a tough one, Bart use them for their two freq mid select setup on the NTMB preamp - I haven't seen them anywhere for sale.

7. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Yup they are. I have an OBP-3 and would like a 50k push/pull for the mid select.

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    bummer, Aguilar sells 50k pots, but i haven't been able to find any push/pull pots in 50k.....

wait...contact these guys:

http://bestbassgear.com/aguilar-obp3-preamp.htm - the only thing i see here is a push pull on the volume and not the mid pot itself...

:)

9. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Thanks for the info. The problem is that I need a stacked volume pot as well. A stacked, push/pull volume knob is even harder to find.

10. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi jive1, check the following:

http://www.tubesandmore.com

http://www.alliedelec.com

and if that fails, there's a place right down the street from us that can get any kind of pot under the sun (except maybe the smokeable kind). :)

It's called "Switching Devices Inc", located on Burbank Blvd. in Burbank CA.

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i remember i went through some of this stuff when i bought my aggie 3 band form david wilson. david was nice enough to do a diagram for me (the one on the aggie site didn't have any configs for me)....due to trying to install this on my Jazz using stacked pots, i had to go with a custom pickguard (looks like a MM Jazz bass) and used 4 knobs and a switch. i could never find the pots that i needed.

i really wish aggie would think about this. :(