Question about adding extension cab to Trace Elliot combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dr. Sefu, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Dr. Sefu

Dr. Sefu

Dec 30, 2015
    I bought a Trace Elliot BLX 150 (150w 1x10 combo with the gp7 SMC preamp and the "band pass" enclosure aka the bicycle rack) a couple months ago and it has been a great so far. I have seen some posts on here where people have added extension cabs to them (it has two speaker out ports on the back), but I was wondering how people set theirs up. Both outputs are 4 ohms, but if using an extension cab what ohm should the cab be? My understanding was that it was best not to mix different ohm cabinets, but if you add a 4 ohm cab that would make a 1 ohm load on the amp right? And an 8 ohm cab would be 2 ohms, which is still low, so I am wondering if anyone can give any advice (especially anyone familiar with this specific amp and using an extension cab with it).

Thanks!

2. I've never seen one of those in person but usually Trace amps in combo's are the regular rack model du jour with a cable from within the cab going to one of the two stock amp outs.

Minimum load is 4 ohm which is what you get with two 8ohm cabs connected, either using those two 1/4" outs or daisy chaining another cab to the first cab.

Note that it's not 4 ohm each plug. They are always parallel connected, 4 ohm total.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    BassmanPaul likes this.
  3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Thanks for saving some typing DUW. :) In the store where I rehearse they have one of those TE combos. I’ve never plugged into it ‘cos they also have a GB combo. :D

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    So, an 8 ohm 1x10 is what you want to pair with that combo. Preferably, one made to match it.

5. Don't you still have a 250 Trace at home?

6. I don't know if there ever was a matching extension cab made for that one. Never seen one for sale. It would be pretty easy to pull the amp out and rebox it and get a really big surprise how those 150w sound through serious cabs.

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Yes but life interfered with me finishing the repair. I’ll fix it next year!! :D

Happy new year to one and all! :)

8. I've paired my GP7 BLX130 to my current 2x10 TE cab. When I had a 15" TE cab, I parked my BLX on top of that one as well. There are rare 1x10 extension cabs that TE made specifically to pair up to the BLX amps. I've only seen them on Craigslist from some guy in New York.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021